[OSList] What does neutrality of a facilitator mean in Open Space?

Michael M Pannwitz mmpannwitz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 01:31:02 PDT 2013

Dear Carms,
basically, there is no such thing as a "neutral" facilitator.
As far as I can remember, and thats a few decades back, potential
clients often ask for a "neutral" facilitation or consultation.

Seems to me that the way to tackle this is to ask myself what I am not
"neutral" about. And that, I found out, varies from case to case and
from situation to situation.

So, when I am facilitating I find it helpful to discover what I do not
want to be "neutral" about and focus on that particular thing.
When facilitating an Open Space Technology process I focus on being
"present and invisible", "expanding time and space" (for the forces of
selforganisation to do its thing).
This I find is more than a full time job... any other interests that
crop up (getting involved in issues participants post or paying
attention to a co-facilitator...) simply have no space. The moment they
do press for space and my attention I know I am no longer really paying
attention to my task as facilitator.
In practice this means that I am in desperate need for a team in the
background that takes care of all the things I love to meddle with and
control so that I can focus... which sounds simple but aint easy.

A co-facilitator who has clear positions on issues and is absorbed by
such stuff does not compromise "neutrality" of the team. He exerts
control and that is from my experience a surefire way to reduce or even
close space.
So, how to deal with a co-facilitator of the kind you describe?
It depends, of course.
One way to avoid this destraction is to simply strike the position of
co-facilitator.
Have a great day
mmp