[OSList] sacred economics 101 and the future

Brett Barndt barndtbrett at gmail.com
Sat Apr 20 16:19:44 PDT 2013

So important these questions and these topics. The kinds of crises that are
precipitated and arise from these kinds of economic times merit the
attention now of anyone who wants to positively contribute to change.

Michael Rowbotham's book "Grip of Death" does an interesting job of showing
how insecurity is manufactured by the kind of money system we have had for
now a few hundred years. That would be a debt based money system at its
essence.  It is most useful to establish a baseline. His understanding of
how the money system itself works today is stronger than Eisenstein's. He
establishes how the money system itself works to create the kinds of the
social conditions that Dickens documented so long ago and that persist
today throughout the global economy under this kind of global money system.
He also shows how debt grows and grows as it must along with the money
supply in modern economies that require money for most human relationships.

Douglas Rushkoff's book "Life, Inc." also provides an interesting
introduction into the mechanisms of money that establish a condition of
constant lack (of money but not anything else) and that drive forward what
we have come to name capitalism and all its outcomes such as broken
relationships, deracination, and the identity deficits that feed
consumerism. He does a great job of relating the influences on not only
consumerism but the pathologies arisen in our enterprises and
organizations. He also introduces alternatives to the current system in
history (they do exist) and in contemporary times in places like Japan
where the money supply seriously contracted after the 1980s debt bubble.

David Graeber's book "Debt: The First 5,000 Years" presents a story of what
happens to human relationships once money is interjected into them as a
medium of exchange instead of relationship. This book was a great
inspiration to OWS and is now in paperback. It establishes how caste
systems themselves arise from debt economies and many other things we take
for granted as normal or somehow natural and preordained.

There is also a great body of literature about the psychologies that arise
from these kinds of conditions of forced scarcity on human beings.

The challenge is to get the bankers into the room for openspace, when
anyway the system itself is larger than they are as individuals, and it is
itself programmed to drive toward certain ends regardless of the choices or
behaviors of individuals working in it. The banks are also really owned and
their boards controlled by people who seek anonymity and would be hard
pressed to show up at an Openspace.

Of course, funders of politicians and political conflicts in our countries,
and especially funding arms or whatever drives conflicts in natural
resource rich or strategically placed countries also don't show up at
Openspace.

Fortunately, this generation of scholars, mostly anthropologists, have new
insights that we can employ to answer many of our old questions. There is
more insight coming out in this generation to help us frame new kinds of
new solutions. As a young person who was involved in OWS expressed, "we
need new theories."

So important this discussion now. Can't wait to see what the Openspace
community can come up with once engaged in it. The timing is crucial since
we know what these kinds of conditions can lead to.