[OSList] OSONOS Reykjavík - Open Space Iceland - osis2013

Kári Gunnarsson kari.gunnarsson at simnet.is
Fri Apr 5 13:24:19 PDT 2013

Dear self-organizing space-opening people.

I accept the responsibility in the invitation of Harrison Owen from 1993
from his User's Guide "Of course, there is one small responsibility that
accompanies this invitation. Please, share what you discover and we will
all be the richer."

To day we had the 1st Open Space on Open Space in Icelandic, We had it
short with only 3 hours to use. There were two companies, and two
associations that use Open Space here in Iceland as generous sponsors, so
we were able provide free participation for the event.

We opened the space at 13:00 to day (on a working day). The door was open
for registration with coffee, tea and Yerba Mate, from 12:30. I did the
opening remarks and the opening, then I opened the marketplace. I opted for
a single paper size of standard unmarked printing paper for topic writing,
documentation and sign making. We had two time-slots and unmarked spaces. I
asked the participants to bring there topic signs to mark out there own
space for there discussion, this way we did not use any post-it notes. The
second discussion opened on 14:30 with the words, "whenever it starts". The
closing circle was set at 15:20 with two caps of my hands, I left my temple
bells at home, for not everyone has such items. I used a roll of tape (used
to hang topics on the wall) as the walking stick in the closing circle.
many of these design decision where taken to symbolize the accessibility of
this methought to everybody,

There was a lot of rush, as people rued from one group to the next (I will
opt for a longer time for the second osis2014, where we will include the
lunch hour).  Many pictures were taken and people took many personal notes.
We agreed to compile a book of proceedings in the next week from our notes
and photographs.

I discovered that this can be extremely successful, with several things not
done, for it happened to be somethings "not to do". This will be an
interesting year for Open Space here in Iceland. I'm still looking forward
to use my temple bells for my next open space. When do you ring your bell?

with best regards

--
Kári Gunnarsson
www.openspace.is