[OSList] Peggy plus OST Linkedin Comment

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Tue Oct 23 09:51:48 PDT 2012

thanks, lisa... just a couple quick clarifications...

i know osonos hosts are not pre-determined, and was just saying that to
newcomers it might look that way, when we arrive with invitation materials.
 it didn't used to be that way and i was just suggesting that we consider
what is the best way of making that decision.

i think you are right about berlin1 being the first "wosonos" though i
don't think that vancouver or melbourne used that frame.  in berlin, it
made sense as a celebration of our leap across the pond, our expanding in
the world.   again, i want to suggest that this frame might  have outlived
it's usefulness.  yes, when there is one W event a year, people know which
of several osonos events harrison and some "old hands" might show up... but
of course it's not about them.  i'd like us to consider that they are all
simply open space gatherings for the purpose of working on our practice of
open space.  for me, osonos is not about reaching out to "underserved"
areas (whatever that means) or celebrating a number of years, that stuff
happens.  access expands when people do things directly for themselves,
like when john engle brought folks to vancouver and then started the
haitian osonos series.  i agree that all osonos events are equal, all
different, but none better... so i don't understand the continuation of the
world designation.

i appreciate that you have been pulling together notes from hosts along the
way.  in most years, i have called or emailed the new host to offer my
availability to talk about past osonos hosting, as well as offer
openspaceworld.org linking and hosting support.  it's very tricky to have a
legacy captured in a handbook like you've developed, or in a website like
openspaceworld.org for that matter, and still be absolutely at our edge of
emerging.  i don't know what the right way is, but i would really like to
hear from more of us about some of these ways we do things, mostly without
considering as a community what effect we might be having.

in my experience, in osonos and every other os i've ever seen, every little
thing we add creates another large or small edge where we can get caught,
where the flow can eddy and churn and stagnate.  so i'd very much like to
have more conversation about what it is we've added to osonos over the
years, and consider -- without critique of individual faciltators or events
-- but consider as a community what we are and are becoming.

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates
312-280-7838 (mobile)

http://MichaelHerman.com