[OSList] Peggy plus OST Linkedin Comment

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Oct 23 09:03:11 PDT 2012

Hi, all.
I cannot comment on or imagine what Paul feels. He is not here to say
so. But I welcome that you are sharing, Michael, how you feel.
Not that you need me to welcome it ;o) but I just wanted to say I
appreciate your sharing your thoughts and feelings about this.

About hosting OSonOSs and WOSonOSs -
(and if I recall, Michael M Pannwitz started using the W - wasn't it
you, MMP? - and it evolved as a common usage term - yes?)

No, choosing a host / location is not pre-determined - if I understand
your concern about that correctly. And feel free to correct me if I am
wrong on interpreting your concern there.

On the OSLIST here you've seen me say 'if you are thinking of
hosting... / if you would like to learn from past hosts ... / if you
cannot come to a WOSonOS and are thinking of hosting and would like
someone to represent you...'
I do this not because i am part of some pre-determined decision but
because I am one person whose enthusiasm for access and inclusion
inspires me to invite co-learning and a real welcoming for OSonOSs and
WOSonOSs shared across the world.

People think of whether their community feels ready to host - or
whether they want to instead continue growing their OS learning
community to grow local capacity without also dealing with this other
kind of event. The WOSonOS or OSonOS being one part of a chain of
things happening in their region that grow OS capacity.

We (me, others, with and without me) have these conversations all year
'round - whoever wonders about it all and wants to share thoughts - on
OSLIST, one-on-one, in emails, in cafes, and in other places and
conversations I am not aware of.

And then some either come to an upcoming WOSonOS - or ask for support
to come - or ask for someone to represent them - when they and their
community feel ready and / or inspired to do so.

And then someone or someones come - or create something lovely with
their colleague-representatives who are coming.
During the WOSonOS it's useful for those thinking of inviting to tell
the host team so there is time in the program design for however many
invitations there may be plus the conversation that may follow.
if more than one group is inviting the WOSonOS - everyone in circle -
has a conversation about it until they sense with mind and with body
which invitation to select.
When my community felt ready we invited - and invited again over three
consecutive years - because the group did not sense and feel that our
time was the time... until it was the right time. All good.

For some of those years I could not attend. So as I invite others to
do - I asked some really creative and brilliant colleagues who were
going (I love you, Thomas and Eva!) to invite to my country on my
behalf.
In 2003 ('Swenmark') Brian Bainbridge and I had fun inviting the world
to Goa, India on behalf of Janet Pinto, at her request.

Meanwhile, OSonOSs happened, all over the world, and keep happening.
As in the UK - several practitioners met at the WOSonOS who were from
the same region - actually had never known of each other before - and
I think there's an OSonOS bubbling up there in our near future.

It is not a WOSonOS convening manual, Michael - if what you were
referring to was the Wisdom from Past Hosts letter I have gathered and
grown over the years. It is just a collection of thoughts from past
host teams that - again, as someone inspired to help grow OSonOS
learning and community around the world - I had some interest and
energy to create and to add to each year - so that host teams had with
them the voices and experience of others who have done this particular
kind of international co-learning experience before them. There are so
many lessons-learned about access and inclusion - from the way host
teams have learned to generate visa invitation letters - to flexible
pricing on registration, to amazing energy behind-the-scenes - to help
people of different levels of class, power, travel experience,
language and OS knowledge join us. And yes - I host an OSonOS every
year that is much simpler - because I am one person hosting for those
annual OSonOSs. So I do less. But I will say that most of the 'more'
things a host team does - and again: most of that is unseen to
participants - are true passion and lots of amazing ideas and tasks
that result in diversity, inclusion, and to me, true invitation and
welcoming. Very exciting.

And personally, as one who does both events - I do count all OSonOSs
and WOSonOSs as equal. They are all opportunities for a diverse
community to get together to share some precious face-to-face co-
learning. Call them what you will - OSonOS, Learning Exchange,
WOSonOS. They are all opportunities for whoever is near or can get
there (sometimes with help, sometimes on their own) to learn and share
and celebrate. So I do see them as equal, and full, no matter what
they are called. I am not someone who usually counts things. But I
always wonder why there aren't more OSonOSs - bring them on! They are
delicious!

Thank you for this conversation, and for this opportunity to share
what my own experience has been regarding process and invitation,

Lisa