[OSList] Peggy plus OST Linkedin Comment

Pernilla Luttropp pluttropp at swipnet.se
Sun Oct 21 05:39:37 PDT 2012

I have a tendency to get stuck in polarisations, and it is seldom a
productive way forward - if that¹s the way I want to go.
I enjoy reading your reflections on if Open Space Technology is imprisoned
or not and I¹ll try to keep my awareness on not ending up in good/bad,
prison/freedom, structure/chaos, right/wrong etc.

But I do think that OST rises a fundamental and existential question of
wanting to take part in a community, and contribute in any way possible, or
to walk away to another community or to solitude. It is for sure one of the
most fundamental questions in my life and it has sometimes left me in a
shaky/vague/uncertain position. Who can I turn to if I¹m in doubt of if this
community will provide the safety I need in order to explore this
existential matter? At WOSonOS I got the opportunity to try to put these
thoughts into words together with other people who shared their
vulnerability, fears and emotions with me. I¹m very grateful to those of you
who shared this with me. At some other sessions I didn¹t feel that safety or
openness of exploring the questions I raised at that very moment, so I used
my two feet. I later found out that  someone else (thank you Tova) took my
chair and the conversation went on - whenever it starts is the right time.
To me that is the strength of a working community, it¹s not about me and my
needs (it¹s a starting point but not the goal). It¹s about what I bring and
how it is received. To me it¹s about the latin word communicare, to share
and make common. It takes a lot of courage to take a step in to the circle,
at least for me. And it takes a lot of awareness from the community  in
order to stay open to change and soft voices.

Since I left London I¹ve facilitated two Open Spaces, both came out of
politicians need to talk about democracy. They were very different but they
made me notice how hard it can be for some people to leave a circle (or the
event), how hard it can be to be left by others and the courage to stay and
stick to your needs, even if you are only half aware of what they are. It
makes me humble and a bit scared of what I put people through. And being the
person I am, I¹m interested in what makes people stay and leave in order to
talk about the community. Not just to say that it¹s the law.

To create a community were we try to invite these feelings, thoughts and
actions (and everything in between) and at the same time try to put it in to
some kind of organized form, is not an easy task. I don¹t have the answer on
how to do that, and I think there are many answers, but as long as I can
raise questions and someone answers, I¹m happy to be part of this circle and
community.

>From a rainy Stockholm in Sweden
Pernilla Luttropp