[OSList] Critiquing a WOSonOS - [formerly titled 'Peggy plus OST Linkedin'] -2

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Sun Oct 21 11:45:10 PDT 2012

(to continue - part 2 of 2 parts)

A WOSonOS as an opportunity for a host team to explore ideas:

Why not marvel at a host team for creating a sticky-wall out of office
supplies (clear packing tape) in an historic building where one cannot
post onto the walls? All over that space there were imaginative work-
arounds for the ways we OS folks like to use a room in the round: Tall
T-shaped banner holders made of bamboo leaned against the walls to
hold up the principles and law posters. Beautifully illustrated
animals on signs attached to bamboo poles attached to chairs to form
moveable small-group discussion areas - in a way that helped us easily
navigate a large room. A sticky-wall that taught me quite a bit - and
a host team deeply considering the advantages and disadvantages to
having made that super-stickiness and naming its advantages and
limitations out loud and with humor and grace. Why not to marvel in
that and be amazed at how much we learn for our own next 'cannot-post-
on-walls' events?

Critiquing a WOSonOS as having evolved into something more than
what... than a host team wishes it to be?

There is something really amazing about a WOSonOS - I save my pennies
to get to them whenever possible. Being in a room full of people from
other lands, other cultures, other experiences - it is so nutritious
to me. Celebrating each other through some of the traditions that have
arisen from meeting to meeting - not as a rule, but as having some fun
together. Using it - really using it - as an OS user's conference -
where my diversely-experienced colleagues and I can stretch and
explore and ask why and share lessons learned about this very
interesting process. WIth others who know about it - whether they read
about it in the book or have convened meetings using it for years. I
for one do not bring clients to a WOSonOS - though I do invite them to
the OS meeting within my workshop if they like - because this is a
rare opportunity for me to act like myself - my joyful playful self -
with my tribe who mostly welcomes me in my fullest most joyful form -
rather than my practice of respecting a client and a group I work with
by being my self (to be sure) but a more subdued self when I am out
there facilitating for clients. Because my client's meetings are not
about me - rather, about them and their work. This one thing? This
coming to a WOSonOS or OSonOS? It is about my community, but it is
also about the pure, undiluted me.  How relaxing for me!  But nobody
is stopping anyone from inviting clients, and indeed: people at
WOSonOS have always invited clients when they wished to.

The returning thread about why a WOSonOS at all, or that it is not the
way you would have done it:

Why not an OSonOS - whenever you want to, wherever you are, however
you yourself would like to do it? What is stopping you from doing
that, if you feel it should be done in a different way, in a simpler
way, in another way?  I host an OSonOS each year - have done for
years. Mine is in the San Francisco USA region, usually each March.
And you are all invited to join me - dates soon to be announced. It is
much simpler than a WOSonOS - I rent a room, you come, we have a pot-
luck dinner, we learn from one another. That's the freedom of it all -
whatever you want to invite to happen - do it. We welcome it. It's
wonderful. I highly recommend it...

Thank you Phelim and team, and everyone in this conversation (both you
speakers and you witnesses), for all I am learning and reflecting upon,

Lisa