[OSList] Youth Climate Summit

Jamie Colston jamiecolston at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 16 13:46:09 PDT 2012

Today two 16 year old boys opened space for 86 young people who had spent
the previous day being inspired by speakers on topics like: Beautiful
Economy, Courageous Leadership, Good Energy, Circular Economy, Seaweed and
Marine Resources, Local Organic Food and much more. They opened, held and
closed a space supported by myself, Jane James (Nowhere ECL) and Jenny
MacKewn.We watched as they did brilliantly and they invited me to finish
the day for them with a closing meditation.
You can see some photos here taken by our 15 year old official photographer
https://www.icloud.com/photostream/en-gb/#A9532ODWoPFRg and videos are
available via http://greenvisionmovement.org/ and
http://www.youtube.com/user/GreenVisionMovement?feature=watch

I missed WOSNOS last week as I prepared for this event and took care of my
family and particularly my partner who was very ill. My 4.5 year old son
joined me today and drew the earth on flipchart paper and I asked him what
are the most important things to put on this earth. His response was trees,
stars, sun, moon and Howls Moving Castle.

The day ended with a 17 year old girl who I trained in world cafe two weeks
ago saying to me "Thank you so much, you changed my life".

For all the difficulties, tension and home life stresses this event has
caused it reminded me of how important it is to offer young people an
alternative to our modern/victorian education system. When they have the
opportunity to speak from their hearts and have conversations that matter
to them, they are alive and vibrant and full of joy.

This was my last full event organising role as I take a step back to
reconnect fully with my family.

I offer this as my reflection and as a story of creating space and
opportunity for young people to be inspired, have conversations that matter
and the chance to step into their beauty and inate power.

I have many of their reflections from the conversations and these will
posted online at greenvisionmovement.org over the coming week if you are
interested.

With gratitude to everyone and special mention to Liz Martins who helped me
redesign my youth facilitation training workshop

Jamie

--
*Jamie Colston*

Co-creating learning spaces and learning opportunities for children, young
people and those who support them in the journey:

*How do we find and celebrate our passion, live with purpose, in harmony
with our one planet, working together to create a peaceful, equitable and
life affirming society?*

*M: *07909 442006 *E: *jamiecolston at gmail.com* *

*FB/Linked In/Skype:* Jamie Colston  *Twitter*: spearthwarrior

*Nowhere ECL  www.now-here.com/ecl*

*Green Vision Movement  www.greenvisionmovement.org*

**** <http://www.bathamptoncsa.wordpress.com/>* *