[OSList] Occupy report

Chris Corrigan chris at chriscorrigan.com
Tue May 8 10:18:15 PDT 2012

Harrison...yes, in situations of opening I have one rule when it comes to
disrupters, and it is the same as yours: carry on.

Most disrupters in open space are well meaning, and want to ask a question,
often hypothetical, and to answer that question is to invite a number of
other hypothetical questions about what might happen.  By definition, the
number of hypothetical situations outnumbers the number of actual
situations, and so the best thing to do is not answer that question, unless
you want to invite and endless discussion.

However, Open Space is still a fresh new experience for some people and
sometimes as facilitators we overexplain the process leading to legitimate
confusion.  But it is important to know that in any group of people, there
are folks who totally get it.  So Here is a very helpful tip for all
facilitators: never ask if anyone has a question about how the process will
work.  One single nervous person can hold up a group that is otherwise
raring to go.  Instead, when you have finished giving instructions, ask the
group this: "please raise your hand if you have enough clarity to get
going.". I ask people to raise their hands and keep them raised.  Then I
say "those of you who are still unclear, please watch or talk to the people
who have their hands raised.  They will help you get going."

ThIs way the group immediately becomes responsible for making it all work,
and I can get to my nap quicker.

Hope this helps.

Chris

--
---
CHRIS CORRIGAN

Site: http://www.chriscorrigan.com

*Upcoming workshops*
Art of Hosting
November 2012, Bowen Island, BC, Canada.
(email me for more information)
YET: the improv-based facilitation course you have always wanted to take!