[OSList] Question about OST meetings/conferences including people with disabilities

Joaquim Baptista pxquim at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 10:49:27 PDT 2012

Greetings,

I never facilitated an Open Space event where people with disabilities
participated in the actual conversations. However, I have had two kids
participate in "talking stick ceremonies".

These two kids have mental disabilities (15yo with Down Syndrome and 11yo
with Autism) that prevent them from talking clearly. It is hard for them to
communicate with their family members, and very difficult to communicate
with strangers.

However, during a talking stick ceremony (happened several times with 20 to
60 people) they will wait for their turn and then, stand up and try to
talk. It works, because people have been respectfully listening to each
other and, even if surprised, they will keep listening.

Therefore, I have been gaining more and more respect for the talking stick
ceremony and its ability to "open space" for people to talk.

I usually start and end my OST gatherings with a talking stick ceremony. I
have found it valuable in small groups in building rapport between
participants. I have used the ceremony alone in situations where OST would
not be accepted, or where "talking to the whole assembly" would be more
appropriate than talking to small groups. I have found that it helps to
carefully choose the talking stick itself (usually a plush toy).

If you understand Portuguese, you may find the following reports useful:
- Assembleia geral eleitoral
30-Set-2011<http://apdmartinho.pt/associacao/88/assembleia-geral-eleitoral-30-set-2011>
(talking
stick used to enhance a boring formal assembly, preventing "I talk louder"
politics)
- A Sexualidade e os Afectos na
Deficiência<http://apdmartinho.pt/educar/97/a-sexualidade-e-os-afectos-na-deficiencia>
(talking
stick used to allow everyone to question or comment)

In summary, create an environment of mutual respect where people feel that
their voice will be heard. When you do, most people will have things to
say, even people with mental disability.