[OSList] Bi-lingual open space

Katia Van Belle katiavanbelle at me.com
Sat Mar 3 22:44:31 PST 2012

Here is one more story I would like to share.

Last month I opened space for 450 people. They gathered around the topic of "more holidays for more people", and were invited by a special department of our government that provides holiday opportunities to poor people. Usually, on their forum (which is held once a year and lasts for half a day), half of the participants are poor people who went on holiday thanks to the initiative. The other half are social organizations that work with these people, and a small group are hotel owners, managers of entertainment parks / zoo /... So it is a very unique and interesting mix of stakeholders who meet.

This year the department has won a prestigious international prize, and the 'officials' were present to give the prize to our minister of tourism, who then gave it to the head of the department, etc... However, we decided we didn't want the officials just to sit and observe the event, and leave without understanding (without having felt) the power of this group of people. So we decided to include them in the open space. At least in the second round of sessions, once the journalists had left.

To our surprise, they convened a session on the topic of 'how can social media help us give more holidays to more people?'. Quite a stretch we thought... given that many of the participants didn't speak English, and maybe many of them don't have computers at home... But that proved us wrong! It was the largest session, with over 25 people attending, and our international guests where pleasantly surprised by the intensity of the conversation, the richness of the ideas shared and how many of the participants did their best to speak English.

"Be prepared to be surprised", how true that was once more!

Katia

Op 03 Mar 2012, om 17:40 heeft Harrison Owen het volgende geschreven: