[OSList] OS for rural disable community

Kerry Napuk knapuk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 16:04:11 PDT 2012

Dear Rochelle

Well, Wollongong sure sounds pretty rural.

Harrison is spot on: all communities have real issues and yours will be no
different.

One issue about people labelled "disabled," in my experience, often means
others have underestimate their capabilities.

If you look at your audience, the first thing that jumps out is "ageing
people."  If they are seniors, they will have been around a long time and
learned a few things.  They might just never had anyone ask them to make
decisions for themselves.

I do not understand what Australians mean by "development disabilities."
If it means learning disabilities or mental impairment, you might consider
speaking simply and clearly.  If they are in open space, they, of course,
will present the issues important to them in words they use.  So, no
problem there.

I once did an event with blind people.  We just had to read out loud where
they could have read.   You need to think how best to communicate and find
different approaches that will work. Otherwise, it's just a straight
forward exercise like any open space event.

So. good luck and let us know how it goes.  Sounds like it could be a lot
of fun.

Cheers

Kerry
Edinburgh