[OSList] Open Space & Making Art

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Thu Jun 14 16:16:14 PDT 2012

Just saw this video of writer Neil Gaiman's amazing commencement speech
to the University of the Arts in Philadelphia.

http://hhgttg.de/blog/2012/05/20/two-out-of-three-is-enough/

This talk is way more awesome than anything I can write about it - but
here are some snippets from a partial transcript on the link above:

"When you start out for a career in the arts, you have no idea what
you're doing. This is great. You don't know what's impossible. If you
don't know what's impossible, it's easier to do. Because no one has done
it before, they haven't made up rules to stop anyone doing that
particular thing again."

Sounds a lot like OST to me.

"I hope you'll make mistakes. When things get tough: make good art."

Similar to when there's problems - just open more space.

"No one knows what the landscape will look like two years from now, let
alone a decade. The rules, assumptions are breaking down."

This is the place where OST works best... and great art.

--
Harold Shinsato
harold at shinsato.com <mailto:harold at shinsato.com>