[OSList] Dealing with conflicts

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Wed Jul 25 04:13:58 PDT 2012

Dear Marie Ann,
the gathering Harrison describes (Israelis and Palestinians in Rome) got
him to write a book on why os events are so peaceful even in highly
conflicting situations.
If you like, I will send you a copy of "The Practice of Peace"... of
course, you can also get the german version I was involved in: "Raum für
den Frieden".
In my own experience there have been a number of highly conflicting
situations for which sponsors chose Open Space Technology. The biggest
job I had was to convince the sponsors that you need nothing but open
space and it worked every time (Israelis and Palestinians meeting in
Switzerland, Parish Board and church workers at issue with each other,
Board of Directors and Marketing Department of a Food Corporation at
issue, Welfare Organisation with all subsystems at "war", Highschool
with opposing factions of teachers...you name it).
Come to think of it, at the beginning of my OSpractice after 35 years of
OD consulting, I actually had to convince mainly myself that highly
conflicting situations is what os-events run on (one of the five
preconditions)... unlearning the old approaches (still very much in
vogue!!) was the hard part.
Greetings from Berlin
mmp

--
Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 388 resident Open
Space Workers in 67 countries working in a total of 143 countries
worldwide: www.openspaceworldmap.org