[OSList] TRUST IS A MUST!

Kerry Napuk knapuk at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 21:49:16 PDT 2012

Hi All

Ann Marie raised the issue of trust.

>From my point of view, trust is an issue on two levels: First, there is no
issue for the facilitator about trusting the people who participate in an
Open Space event, because all they need to do is trust the process.
Besides it is THEIR event and THEIR outcomes, that's where responsibility
enters.

Second, trust arises in a different context when sponsors introduce
"givens" in any conference, that is, areas the participants are not allowed
to discuss.  We resolutely oppose any limitation on discussion under an
agreed theme as a matter of principle.

If a sponsor insists on limiting the discussion, we walk away.  In this
situation we ask them directly "do you trust your
employees/members/supporters?"

It is far better every issue is aired than fester under repression.
which introduces another thread on conflict.   Harrison is right, conflict
is healthy for no other reason that it speaks for passion.  Passion is the
cornerstone for caring and caring is important. Conflict does not go away
when you ignore or repress, it just comes back stronger.

We are going into the second day of a two day event lead by Improbable
under their "devoted and disgruntled" label for the theatre sector.
Yesterday 44 people engaged in the future of theatre in Scotland in the
rehearsal rooms of the Royal Lyceum Theatre in Edinburgh.  It is the
seventh in twenty roadshow events improbable is facilitating around the UK.

You can hear more about D&D and Improbable when you attend WOSONOS 2012
between 11-14 October in 2012.  You saw the great creative out burst in the
opening ceremony of the Olympics.  Wait till you see what creative
surprises are in store at the World Gathering!

Cheers

Kerry
OpenSpaceTalks!
Edinburgh