[OSList] Virtual Open Space

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Jan 29 13:18:04 PST 2012

My experience in this area is pretty limited, prompted I suspect by early
experiences with "Cyber-open-space" in which it seemed that the technology
overwhelmed the spirit. But I would guess that things are a lot better now,
which is good. The one thing I can contribute is some experience with
simultaneous multi-site OTS's. We had three large (100 person) working
groups in three cities divided by 3 time zones - which I thought was going
to be a major problem. It wasn't. Everybody just adopted the middle time
zone for the duration of the gathering and it worked like a charm. Each site
worked just like Open Space per usual, but as issues were posted anywhere
they were then displayed in the other sites on video screens. The convener
of each session (wherever) also gave their email address, so anybody
choosing to join a group from a distant part used that to communicate. The
convener (or somebody in the group) also provided online (email) a running
summary of the discussion. Of course this involved a lot of laptops and full
wifi. I am not sure that I liked it, but the participants seemed to, and
they got the job done - which was a technical design project. Would I
suggest doing it again? I am not sure.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: