[OSList] trainings on non-violence

Raffi Aftandelian raffi_1970 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 18 00:02:49 PST 2012

Claudia-

I want to echo much of what Birgitt said. I'd add that the Genuine Contact approach is - among other things- about how do we create and sustain powerful containers for collaboration. That to me is an essential element for nonviolence.

Also, as someone who worked intensively with "energizers," "games" etc. for nonviolence for a number of years, I find I really can't suggest working that way anymore. I don't think it really brings us to peace. So, while there is much of value to the work of organizations like Training for Change- I don't think overall it takes us to a new place. I speak as someone who has experienced their work. I think the T4C people are great people; I'm very grateful for what i learned there (and yes the Moyer model is great) and to me the world has moved on...

For me the piece that comes after OST, beyond using it regularly in communities/organizations, is how do we embody it on a physical level...how do we live it?

And to me, that's about doing the innerwork, about opening inner space-
I think Nonviolent Communication (the newer iterations of it, mind you--- Robert Gonzales and others; from what I can see NVC has evolved greatly since Marshall Rosenberg's first books came out and those first books can give a limited understanding of this powerful system), the Byron Katie's Work, and (physically-based) mindfulness training take us there...

Also, I'd like to offer this provocative article on community written by Robert Augustus Masters. I think it may speak to the challenges of deepening non-violence work:
http://www.masterscenter.net/authentic-community

much two rials/kopecks/drams,
from this southwestern corner of Obamastan,
raffi