[OSList] living open space - gratitude

Gijs van Wezel gijs at megainternational.com.hk
Mon Jan 2 22:27:35 PST 2012

Thank you Tenneson,

Your phrasing: "...I feel challenged to open my heart, show up, let go (like
> watching my kids grow and watching our relationship evolve from nesting
> parenting to co-journeying humans".

Very inspiring and I am greatful for the similar realization/experience I had
during the year-end visit to china of our 2 daughters who study in NL.

Gijs

Quoting Tenneson Woolf <tenneson at berkana.org>:

> [...]
> Uku Masing. It is a collection of memories from his students, friends and
> admirers. There is a poem of his, quoted, in which he says he would rather be
> the "friend of the whole space" than exploiter of its resources.
> >> The friend of the space sounds very OS-like for me. And it reminds me of
> another co-incident of my getting closer to OST. It happened during my visit
> to US in 1992. My guide to the country was a Friend, Kersey Bradley. At the
> time he was an engineer on a cargo ship (Liberty) which took me over the
> ocean. He invited me to his home, introduced to his lovely family and helped
> to get further north from Pennsylvania. When in Worcester (MA) I met the
> local Friends and attended their meetings regularly. As looking back to these
> meetings from my experience of OST, this was and introduction into OS - the
> circle, space for expressing, listening, no particular leader of the meeting,
> the Spirit.
> >> Ten years later I was sitting in opening circle of OST led by Harrison in
> Tartu.
> >> I am grateful to these people and those co-incideces.
> >> Be well,
> >> Arno
> >>

> >>       Arno Baltin
> >>

> >> 2011/12/17 Harrison Owen <hhowen at verizon.net>
> >> Bernhard – having said that “I was in”(for more discussion) – I guess I
> just sort of disappeared without further word. However, being at a loss for
> words is not a common state for me J -- and the topic you raise is, and has
> been, of intense interest to me.
> >>

> >> The similarity of the Open Space experience and the Buddhist practice and
> experience caught my attention some time ago. And, as I said in my prior
> post, it is not just Buddhism but many, perhaps most, of the other great
> traditions. But Buddhism is certainly a great place to start.
> >>

> >> I am not at all sure what the initiating moment was, but I rather think it
> was when I noticed a common phrase that folks used in the closing circle. It
> didn’t happen every time, but more often than not, somebody would remark, “I
> feel like I have come home.” Nobody ever defined precisely what they meant by
> “home,” and maybe they couldn’t – so I always took it at face value.
> Something about feeling natural and comfortable, just the way I am. The
> implication was that in other situations the feeling was being un-natural,
> ill at ease and to some extent inauthentic or “put on.” What popped into my
> head was a phrase I had often encountered in the Buddhist literature about
> seeing/meeting my “original face.”
> >>

> >> When combined with observed and/or reported feelings and behaviors in Open
> Space, such as: --  focus and presence, the capacity to treat others with
> respect, the ability to listen and engage the other with depth and
> sensitivity, an expanded sense of vision and possibility, renewed hope,
> fundamental life change, an acute sense of spaciousness such that the present
 it seemed like something was going on. The
> fact that most or all of these things are also the reported results of
> Buddhist Practice (certainly my practice which is pretty much Buddhist) was
> more than sufficient to alert my curiosity bump. Something was definitely
> going on. But what and why?
> >>

> >> That Buddhist Practice could produce such results was understandable to me
> given the original insights of Gautama, centuries of intense study, communal
> practice, and no small amount of discipline. But what about Open Space? We
> just sat in a circle, created a bulletin board, opened a market
> place
originally inspired by two martinis. And our history in this enterprise
> [...]

> made, but from where I sit, the two poles (Spirit and matter) and not
> mutually exclusive.
> >>

> >> One of the oldest discussions of humankind is the precedence of
> Spirit/Consciousness and matter. Is matter the product of
> Spirit/Consciousness? Or did it somehow occur that matter evolved to become
> conscious? For the vast majority of human history it was understood that
> matter emerges from Consciousness, indeed I suspect  that is the majority
> opinion even today. Recently, however, the relationship has been reversed, at
> least in parts of the Scientific West. I suspect there will never come a day
> when the issue is resolved at the level of proof. It will remain a matter of
> discussion, choice, and experience, which I rather think to be a good thing.
> >>

> >> Speaking personally, however, I am clear about my experience and my
> choice. In the beginning, indeed before any possibility of beginning – there
> is Consciousness/Spirit. Given this experience and choice, self organization
> assumes the position of a manifestation of consciousness. Self Organization
> is what Consciousness does in time and space, along with many other things.
> Is this true? I don’t think we will ever know, and indeed the wondrous gift
> of this Great Cloud of Unknowing is a less than gentle reminder of our
> limitations. In the meantime, and all that said – It works for me. Those of
> you who know me will hardly be surprised. After all I am the guy who opened
> his first book on Organizations with the line, “Spirit is the most important
> thing.” I haven’t changed.
> >>

> >> Enough of this esoterica! And if you have read this far you may well be
> asking yourself, “Where’s the Beef?” What possible practical benefit? What
> makes you think that filling the space of OSLIST with this sort of stuff
> could have any useful application. Fair question.
> >>

> >> I think there are at least two reasons. The first I might summarize under
> the heading of “Beer in the Fridge.”
> >>

> >> If you are thirsty for a beer in my house, all you really have to know is
> how to open the refrigerator door and open a can.  The fact that major
> scientific advances, over multiple years,  possessing mind bending complexity
> – lie behind the coldness of the beer just waiting your parched throat
> doesn’t really affect a thing. If you want the beer, get it. On the other
> hand if you are a real aficionado for whom all the little things count, you
> really do need to know something about Refrigeration Mechanics, the flow of
> gasses, the way pressure can raise and lower temperatures. Same thing with
> Open Space. If all you want to do is have a good meeting, no problem. Sit in
> a circle, create a bulletin board, open a market place, and go to work. Ain’t
> Rocket Science. However, should you want to enhance the quality of the space,
> raise the level of impact, extend the positive effects for yourself and the
> participants, looking under the hood, thinking about the details, asking
 is probably a good place to start.