[OSList] Openspace and Toastmasters - A Taster

Mark Pixley mjpixley at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 18:11:41 PST 2012

Dear Eric,

Thanks for your contribution. It is interesting to see how you have used
facilitation in Toastmasters.  I particularly like your reframing of OS &
TM.  I remember an early story about how TM originally did not have a fix
set of speeches and there was actually a lot of resistance to creating the
manuals.

I joined Toastmasters at about the same time I started my facilitation
journey.

I found that it provided a great location to practice facilitation, whether
by leading a conversation or holding a planning meeting.  I did some of my
earliest large group projects there also.  These were often called
"Trainings" but we did Strategic Planning, Future Search and Open Space
during the various trainings.  I was perhaps fortunate to be in an
"Un-districted" region at that time (Taiwan) which was in the process of
becoming a District.  As a result there was a lot of space for
experimentation. I found that it was important to have support of the
organizational officers, and that some found these processes helpful and
other were less interested.

On a broader TM note, some of the global leadership of Toastmasters is very
familiar and supported of facilitation & OST.  In particular, George Yen
who is First Vice President and was a member of my club in Taiwan.  We
might want to think about how we could offer OST support to TM in the
coming year.

Best Regards,

Mark

Mark Pixley