[OSList] Openspace and Toastmasters - A Taster

Eric Hansen eric.hansen at hansen-rd.com
Mon Jan 2 04:36:30 PST 2012

Hi, Tim,

I saw your email  a few days ago, but didn't find time to comment until
today,

I am also an avoid devotee of Toastmasters with some experience of Open
Space.

I didn't think I would be a TM evangelist when I joined. I was just sort of
tagging along with my wife, Elaine Hansen, who was and is exploring one of
her StrengthsFinder strengths as a communicator. But such is what I have
become. I sing of thee, Toastmasters, whenever I get the chance.

Now, on to your email.

My first thought is that it might help to change the language. I don't want
to make too much of this, but rather than "chaos" for open space and "rigid"
for toastmasters, what do you think about using the terms "unstructured" for
open space "structured" for toastmasters?  I suggest this because, for me,
this opens up the possibilities a bit more.

I think your idea of leadership as the theme and question is spot on,
especially as it's the main focus of the new TM branding. As I am also a
devotee of Peter Block and the six conversations that we explore in A Small
Group, I think something around possibilities is a good place to start.

(Learn more about ASG here.

http://www.asmallgroup.net/

If you want to get an idea of what an ASG conversation is like, Elaine and I
host In The Clouds with A Small Group, which you can find out about here.

http://hansen-rd.com/workshops/a-virtual-a-small-group/ )

Some ASG-type powerful question would be something like:

.         What is the crossroads you find yourself at regarding
Toastmasters' leadership potential?

.         What is the declaration about the possibilities for Toastmasters
leadership you can make that will inspire you and transform your community?

These fit the ASG definition of powerful, which is that such questions are:

.         Personal - which encourages participants to share their own story
and not engage in simple intellectualization. Also, any large-scale change
requires change at the personal level.

.         Ambiguous - which allows participants to create their own meaning
for the question.

.         Anxiety Provoking - because anything important will cause some
anxiety.

A more communal (but less personal and therefore less anxiety-provoking)
question might be.

What can we create together to promote and develop Toastmaster Leadership in
our communities and organizations?

Just some thoughts.

Eric