[OSList] SA1 Re: Openspace and Toastmasters - A Taster

Chris Corrigan chris.corrigan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 09:40:23 PST 2012

A musing or two...

I have found that even in highly rigid organizational structures, OST becomes more and more natural when practiced over time.  And when used to practice being together on a regular basis, even 1.5 hour meetings can be fish and productive for introverts and extroverts.

It is important I think, when you are hosting, that you don't draw too much attention to the process itself.  It isn't necessary to point out differences between OST and Toastmasters.  Most everyone who is a toastmaster also lives their lives in open space, where their passions and responsibilities conspire to create the life they are leading.  All you are doing in bringing OST to your toastmasters community is inviting more passion and responsibility.

To that end it might be useful to conceive of a tm/OST meeting as one in which participants get to speak about a project and then invite others o join them for more dialogue.  In other words, invite a short timed speech of 30 seconds that is only and invitation to a longer speech.  That invitation also becomes a topic for further discussion and whoever wishes can attend.

In the sessions, invite a little structure.  Invite the host to speak for a timed period on their topic (that way they get the public speaking practice) but then require them to conclude with a question for discussion.  The next phase of the break out group then proves a chance for the speaker to listen to what is said and perhaps prompt conversation by using more questions.  Then, as the session draws to a close, the host has to do a one minute crisp and accurate summary of the conversation.

I believe that this design would offer lost of the best of Toastmasters, while introducing practice of a new skill to many speakers - listening.  It is one thing to deliver a great speech, but quite another to deliver that speech and then hold space for an inspired conversation on the topic.  I wish more speakers would know how to do that, and perhaps this design could have a beneficial impact on transforming public speaking from a one way mode of communication to a rich conversation starter.

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
http://www.chriscorrigan.com