[OSList] dialogues in different languages (cultures)

Kerry Napuk knapuk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 14:17:52 PST 2012

Hi Listers

I have only two comments to make about multi-lingual discussions:

1. I facilitated events in Romania, Armenia and Moldova using only 20
minutes of English a day with an interpreter and participants used their
own language.  I could tell from movements in the marketplace and break out
sessions that they understood everything perfectly.

2. When we opened the circle at WOSNOS in Fin, Denmark in 2003, everyone
spoke in their native tongues and paraphrased what they said in English for
non speakers.  In this way, participants could speak to others in their own
language and not be dominated by having everything in English.

We English speakers are often too lazy and tend to expect everyone will use
our language.  I was tired of English speakers apologising for speaking in
English and insisting everyone else did too.  This way it felt like a
global based sharing and respect for other languages, traditions. culture
and diversity.

I hope we can do the same in London in October, it's a nice way to welcome
people from around the world.

Cheers

Kerry
Kerry Napuk