[OSList] OST training? (was: Re: Teach Them to Fish / A Note to My Friends)

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 08:26:29 PST 2012

Arthur in the ideal world perhaps there would be no need for training or
even facilitators like many of us on this OS list.

I have known folks who simply took Harrison's User Guide book and ran with
it. Jorge Amigo in Chile did this very successfully with a large banking
client, never once having seen OS in action first. Thousands got to
experience the process over a 3-year period because he " had just jumped
in".  I was never as brave.

I have also seen participants who shared that they were at an Open Space
event before and that it looked nothing like the one they may have just
experienced now, one where the facilitator honored the very simple process
which allowed space for individual and collective passion and
responsibility to ignite.

One could easily say that "life is Open Space" so let's just let it all
hang out.

I ask myself this question often, wondering if what I am doing is the right
thing to do. I also realize that to know what I know, to do what I do, I
had to "unlearn" a bunch of stuff.  I'm still unlearning my old ways every
day and it's been really great to get support from many here.

My first training in Ottawa with others  helped me see what I could not see
before, in a simple and beautiful way. Perhaps this would have happened by
just attending an Open Space. Who knows?  And yet it led me to Harrison,
his books and the friendship we all share with him, and to all of you on
this OS list.  Not an exclusive group by any means and I have no doubt that
our work has spawned dialogues and groups everywhere on the same stuff that
we talk about and share here. And there is this other BIG thing that's
about giving each other courage, learning to be vulnerable together and
being comfortable with not knowing, no right or wrong, just whatever is
right now.

Artur, I love your analogy of the bike and perhaps in the invitation of
what we do, our role is simply to let people peek and see what might be and
to nudge people along to "get on that bike".

Some of us had parents nudging us along; some of us got training wheels
first, others just saw the big kids and decided to give it a try.  What we
all know is that once we got on that bike, the feeling of freedom, with
wind blowing in our hair is something that we would wish everyone to have.
We can't ride the bike for others, hold it or guide it. Most of us fall
down at first and get bruises along the way. It normally doesn't stop us,
we figure it out and we just get right back on, timidly for some,
determined for others.

So in the end, call it training, teaching, nudging or inviting, I'm just
glad that I got to meet Open Space cause it's as much fun as riding a bike
and I hope others join in so they can have fun too, fully experiencing in
their own way what riding a bike is like.

Suzanne

Suzanne Daigle
NuFocus Strategic Group
7159 Victoria Circle