[OSList] advice and courage

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue Dec 4 15:43:38 PST 2012

Ahhh - great advice to you, Ms. Hege -

Remember that humans are amazing. And yes - it is a practice of faith.
Selecting the right process for the job. Doing thoughtful thorough pre-
work. Then...
Trusting the process, trusting the humans.
B-r-e-a-t-h-i-n-g.
And remembering perhaps that we are all there with you, in spirit.

You said:
> [...]

Now you know - and perhaps your client does as well - a motivational
lecture (as you mention they may want - in your earlier message) does
not deliver that.

Hmmm. Open Space delivers that - especially if top management thinks
before the event about how they may wish to support and continue the
conversation, ideas and relationships that are generated during the
Open Space.

You can talk to your client about Open Space in terms of what it
delivers - how it fits the task / the objectives.

One more thing I might add - if you do choose to do Open Space - do
not let your anxiety or theirs cause you to break Open Space apart
into something that is sort of / not quite Open Space - just to fit in
those traditional things they are used to doing.  If you are going to
do Open Space, do full-form Open Space - the complete process.
And try to get the longest uninterrupted time possible for the Open
Space - if it is to be Open Space.  Peoples' thinking deepens - and
reflective thinkers get to participate as much as quick-responders -
when there is enough time for agenda creation, multiple sessions and
sessions that are not rushed, and enough time for a thoughtful,
reflective closing circle.
More time also makes the documentation component easier for everyone
to complete within the time of the meeting itself.

If for some reason they need a speaker (so sad but sometimes true) try
to get that (as an example) on the Friday night during dinner.  And
your Open Space can be the next two full days. Or whatever timing does
not have  people sitting / listening to one person in the middle of
the Open Space. You want these people to get right into the work
rather than have their bodies go to rest as listeners-not-doers.

This is all what I would say for any group of humans - including
production line workers, including ship builders.
You can help them surprise themselves - and remember the spirit in
their work.

They are lucky to have you,
Lisa