[OSList] Comparison of OS and unconferencing

Jon Harvey jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Mon Apr 30 08:43:29 PDT 2012

Dear all

A couple of weeks ago I attended my first unconference. I was interested to
see how it would be different to the Open Space process that I know so well.
What follows is my comparison - and it is after only one unconference. But
here are my reflections - please add your thoughts too:

History
OS: Harrison Owen book 1993 (born 1985)
Unc: Bloggercon 1998

Principle
OS: Participants shape the agenda
Unc: Participants shape the agenda

Tradition
OS: Native American
Unc: Sci Fi Geek

Guidelines
OS: 4 principles + 1 law: worked / explained
Unc: 4 principles + 1 law: mentioned / minimally explained

Social media
OS: Peripheral
Unc: Central

Assumption
OS: People can read paper easily - put agenda on the wall
Unc: Everyone has a twitter account and knows how to use it - put agenda on
twitter/social media

Topics / agenda
OS: Written in first hand by person suggesting the idea
Unc: Interpreted onto a spreadsheet by facilitator

Discussions
OS: From the floor of the event
Unc: Both from the floor and predetermined (perhaps via social media)

Agenda scehdule
OS: Negotiated by individual sponsor / whole group
Unc: Set by facilitator

Follow up
OS: Whatever happens... and when its over....
Unc: Debates continue via social media

Have I been fair to unconferencing - indeed is my description of OS one that
you would recognise?

Hope all are well

Jon
___

Jon Harvey MBPsS
Director

www.jonharveyassociates.co.uk

+44 (0) 7771 537535
+44 (0) 1280 822585
jon at jonharveyassociates.co.uk
Skype: jonsharvey

Helping you connect the prose and the passion
to deliver superlative results

http://smallcreativeideas.blogspot.com/  for ideas about how to improve the
efficiency & effectiveness of public & third sector services
http://jonharveyassociates.blogspot.com/ for articles & ideas about
leadership and organisational change from a whole systems perspective
http://twitter.com/JonSHarvey for conversations, ideas & questions to help
build a more ambitious, creative and fair world
http://tinyurl.com/JonHarveyLI  to connect with me on LinkedIn

Jon Harvey Associates Ltd
Registered Office: Chandos House, School Lane, Buckingham, MK18 1HD
Company Number 6661588. VAT Registration Number 936 2921 11

Please consider the environment before printing this email. Thank you.
All business mileage is offset with http://www.carbonfootprint.com/