[OSList] Designing an OS way

Barry Owen barryo at comcast.net
Thu Sep 15 19:12:16 PDT 2011

Hi Doug,

I've been doing something similar, but with different students.

I began with a 3 hour session to do a full OST meeting opening, posting
topics and opening the marketplace . . . Followed by two 45 minute sessions
. . . and ending with "Evening News"

The Time/place matrix was the same as if the event were to be @ a 5 day
event.

We had 5 "break-out spaces" identified . . . and the times were the "Regular
meeting times for the class" In my case, we had 2 hours to work with each
week, so we had two 45 minute sessions each day (Making it possible to have
10 sessions in 2 hours each meeting)

This was a total of 6 weeks -

1st week was opening and 1 session (5 break-out spaces) + Evening news
2nd- 5th weeks were "Morning Announcements" and 2 sessions + Evening News
6th week was delivery of the proceedings and closing.

This was as "normal" an OST meeting as we could do given the time
constraints . . . and it worked/

I'm doing this again now without the opening (odd, but true) . . . It just
happened.

When the first set was completed, the space apparently never really closed
and I was asked to continue the weekly meetings . . . So we are doing that
with the topics being emailed to me, and I am sending a weekly email to the
whole group. We are not breaking into 5 groups each week . . . It's morphed
into handling @ 4 topics each time.

All in all . . . If you were to delete the days in-between the meeting day,
this would be one "normal OST meeting"

Still playing with it and thinking that 6 weeks is about the longest for
this cycle . . . Then it's time for a break . . . then another opening.

Good luck,

Best,