[OSList] Control, Perceived Control, and the Loss Thereof

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Sun Sep 11 09:59:51 PDT 2011

what you're saying about fear makes a lot of sense, opening and closing, if
we think about it somatically, bodily.  we are born with an innate ability
to curl up as little bodies, but we actually have to discover, learn,
practice and strengthen to be able to uncurl, stand up straight and walk
toward anything.  so our earliest experiences as bodies would seem to be
leveraged into our organizational bodies, and how we talk about them.  that
explains why the purpose is so important in open space, a lot like setting
the toy out of reach and inviting the baby to crawl and then walk to get
it.  also speaks to why it's important to *live* it and not just talk about
it.  if all our elders ever did was talk about walking, likely most of us
would not have attempted and mastered it.  so it's quite natural on the one
hand, and it also takes a certain kind of developed and practiced strength
on the other.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates