[OSList] PR and Fundraising

Birgitt Williams birgitt at dalarinternational.com
Wed Sep 7 08:31:35 PDT 2011

Dear Claudia,

Thank you so much for separating these four very important topics into their
separate discussion threads
.much like in an OST meeting
I love to
experience the lists as one big OST meeting, participating in the topics for
which I have passion, using my law of two feet, and if I post a topic,
staying with it to the end of the discussion, recognizing the end (for now)
when there is a lull in the energies. I feel that you have sparked topics
that are large, and I am hoping very much that each will get a lot of
valuable inputs. There is so much knowledge on this list, from so many
fabulous people, with a great diversity of perspectives.

So far, on this topic of Public Relations and Fundraising, there have been
contributions from Lisa, Barry, and Doc and I have included them again below
so that their valuable inputs don’t get lost from separating out this topic.

I agree with Barry and Lisa about not selling OST, just as it is not useful
to attempt to sell a method or process. It is useful to sell benefits. I
separate out the list of benefits that we ‘sell’ into outputs and outcomes.
We categorize outputs as items that are tangible and measurable. We
categorize outcomes as items that are intangible and are invaluable side
benefits from engaging in a meeting with us, whether it be using any of the
appropriate highly participatory methods for stakeholder engagement. In an
example of a consulting assignment using a combination of Whole Person
Process  Facilitation and Open Space Technology to achieve desired outcomes
and outputs, the benefits, still ongoing almost a year later are listed
below. The story is one of an amazing initiative of Save the Children India
and the document is a public one so I feel free to share this. The full
document, short video, and pictures will be released in our upcoming
newsletter.

Outcomes they wanted as sponsors of a 3 day international Technical Advisory
Group (TAG) from leaders in the field of maternal, newborn, child survival.

*	prioritization and partner harmonization for an action plan
*	an active consortium for monitoring newborn and child survival
agenda
*	a National resource centre on newborn care
*	a mechanism for sharing lessons at a global level to help move MDG
indicators

Outputs they actually achieved as a result of the meeting:

The outputs are compiled into the TAG report document. All participants
received an electronic copy of the document within one week of the TAG so
that they could easily access their documented ideas, recommendations, and
commitments to action for the purpose of assistance and reminders of
mobilizing them into action. From an investment in 2 ½ days of meetings,
participants from diverse backgrounds, interests and agendas created:

*	8 strategic goals to achieve a significant improvement in newborn
and child survival in India
*	A proposed action plan for achieving each of the 8 strategic goals
including identification of a champion who is committed for a five year
period to support and monitor progress on the goal, and identification of
immediate next steps for action
*	39 personal statements of commitment for action from participants
including committing their organizations to actions that were inspired by
participation in the TAG (Data included as Appendix A for post-TAG
processing by individuals and representative organizations)
*	40 reports of topics for improving child survival were generated by
40 discussion groups (Data included as Appendix B for post TAG thought and
action processing by individuals and representative organizations. Data in
the reports includes the name of person interested enough in the topic to
convene the discussion group, names of those interested enough in the topic
to join it, history of the topic, highlights of discussion, and
recommendations. Individuals and representative organizations are encouraged
to use all of the data in these reports and organize it in such a way that
it can provide guidance for the development of action plans)
*	Accomplishments and struggles in the past related to improving
newborn and child survival were identified. A report was generated that
mapped the accomplishments and struggles into four categories:

*	Client Support: Direct and indirect services to the clients
themselves
*	The Way Business Is Done Including How Organizations Collaborate:
Producing and delivering services to customers. Examples of operations
management processes include: collaboration; develop supplier relationships;
produce services; manage risk
*	Social and Regulatory Expectations: Conforming to regulations and
societal expectations and building stronger communities. Examples of
regulatory and social processes include: improve environmental, health and
safety performance; follow excellent employment practices; enhance
communities
*	Innovation: Developing new services, processes and relationships.
Examples of innovation processes include: identify new opportunities; select
projects; launch new services

Data included as Appendix C for post TAG processing by individuals and
representative organizations. Individuals and representative organizations
are encouraged to map the data according to categories meaningful to
themselves, clubbing data in ways that provide guidance for the development
of action plans.

*	A list of skills and strategies for coping with change (Data
included as Appendix D for consideration when developing action plans to
incorporate the concept of what is needed in situations where change is
required, into the action planning)

Outcomes they actually achieved as a result of the meeting:

·         A champions council made up of the 8 champions of the 8 strategic
goals to work collaboratively and monitor progress on the newborn and child
survival strategic plan as developed at the TAG

·         Prioritization and participant harmonization for a strategic plan
and accompanying action plan

·         A model for holding results oriented consultation meeting with a
diversity of participants that can be used in other consultations including
at state level

·         Excitement

·         Commitment to action both personal and organizationally

The resulting report has already been presented to the appropriate
ministries of the Government of India and incorporated into India’s 12th
five year plan. MDG in the above relates the Millenium Development Goals of
the United Nations.

When I approach potential clients, I find out what outputs they are hoping
for, adjust the method accordingly, almost always using Open Space
Technology as part of the process, and then review with them afterwards what
actually got achieved. They in turn tell others, who tell others, and either
we or our colleagues get engaged for more such meetings. We also use our
reports that are the public ones as ways to show potential clients what is
possible.

I hope this is helpful.

Warmly,

Birgitt Williams

Lisa

I am with Barry on the whole 'marketing' idea. One does not sell Open
Space - most people do not care about 'how' something is done - the
process - and others are worried it will be some stupid soft
unproductive thing or some American way of doing something that does
not fit with the culture. I would say focus on the 'why' 'for whom'
and 'what'. The content. The same thing that will entice participants
to your event - a compelling reason for bringing people together to
share their rich knowledge, experiences and cultures.

I always tell sponsors what this will NOT be and what we are NOT
inviting them to do.
They will not be making speeches - though we will have their signs and
logos over the food area in the big Open Space room - a prime location.
They will not be making presentations - though we can include a
paragraph about their lovely organization in our Book of Proceedings,
with a link to where readers can learn more.
And I am never assuming that sponsors then get to come for free ;o) -
I always ask what they can pay per person for the people from their
organization who want to attend - to help us use more of their funds
for supporting the event and less on (for example) the per-person cost
to include those people. You never know, but it is always a useful
question to ask.

I would say...think of organizations who really care about these
issues or who want visibility amongst people who care about these
issues - and 'brainstorm' all of the kinds of organizations who might
feel this way. You might be surprised at who you come up with as
potential sponsors -and- as potential participants.

Barry

Speaking to the first question: “How can we attract new sponsors to convene
OS events?”

I do a LOT of this . . . It's not about "Marketing or Selling" OST as a
meeting process . . . I am finding it very effective to identify real issues
and opportunities in the community . . . and then reaching out to potential
sponsors whose business mission seem to align.

So - What I am asking them to do is take responsibility for a passion they
are already proclaiming to the world that they have.

My focus in on the Local Economic Vitality (Health and Growth) of our
community . . . and matters relating to Real Estate Sale Professionals.

So far so good . . . I do a "Mini-event" each week with a different sponsor
each time . . . and then larger (full day Events) when there's momentum for
them usually with multiple financial sponsors.

I'm about 15 months into this "project" and have discovered that the less I
talk about the process (OST) and instead focus on the issues at hand, the
better.

Hope this helps.

I'm just starting work on our next full day event to be November 4

Doc

1. It probably depends to a certain extent on the purpose of each event and
the community you wish to engage. Think about who has a stake in the process
and outcomes. If it's education, just as an example, sponsors might include
parents groups, educational publishing and software companies, school
systems and private schools, private individuals who believe in the value of
education, and so on. You need to be able to explain why this event/these
events matter, and also that their sponsorship will have limited immediate
value for them unlike traditional events. That is, you have to answer the
question WIIFM (what's in it for me?).