[OSList] four different issues on my personal OS agenda (PR + Fundraising, OS in Business Meetings, Success Stories and OS with Children)

Steven (Doc) List doc at anotherthought.com
Sat Sep 3 06:11:56 PDT 2011

1. It probably depends to a certain extent on the purpose of each event and the community you wish to engage. Think about who has a stake in the process and outcomes. If it's education, just as an example, sponsors might include parents groups, educational publishing and software companies, school systems and private schools, private individuals who believe in the value of education, and so on. You need to be able to explain why this event/these events matter, and also that their sponsorship will have limited immediate value for them unlike traditional events. That is, you have to answer the question WIIFM (what's in it for me?).

2. It works very well. Clearly the process needs to be pretty tight for a short meeting time, and you may have only one topic at a time. I've done it with board meetings and other business meetings, and have a friend at Microsoft who converted their weekly sales meetings to OST with great success. Assuming that you can explain the intent and the process relatively concisely, it can work exceptionally well.

3. Speaking of Microsoft, they have experimented with OST several times in various ways. For external events, they've had some moderate success. Internally, there's one group that has embraced it - software architects - and uses it twice a year as part of an architecture summit. It is generally perceived by organizers and participants as very successful, and the most effective and powerful component of this event.

4. I haven't worked with children and OST (yet :-)) and am eager to hear responses from others.

Btw, if you're not a member of the LinkedIn OST group yet, perhaps you'd join and post these questions there, too?

...Doc
--
Steven "Doc" List, Agile Coach, Facilitator, Trainer
Email: Doc at AnotherThought.com