[OSList] Legacy and Gratitude Bucket List

Suzanne Daigle sdaigle4 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 07:52:33 PDT 2011

Inspired by

August Morning:

A time for Reflection and an Invitation...

Harrison Owen

http://openspaceworld.com/ <http://goog_2058155182>August%20Morning.pdf

Dear Harrison and friends,

I’m having an overflowing gratitude bucket moment again. A mutual friend
called me this morning.  We’ve become very great friends and as she was
consulting me about something, our conversation went everywhere and
anywhere, family, personal identity, you, Open Space, our parents and
children, love,  career, life, world issues, etc.   One of those quality
conversations that makes time stand still with everything and the kitchen
sink wrapped into it.

In this moment, I realized that since my first introduction to Open Space, I
have developed many of these “time stand still” relationships with a number
of people who are so dear to me whether virtually, over the phone or in
person. We give each other courage, inspiration, pure joy and the gift of
“just being ourselves” with no judgment or persona.

In the past, as I was meeting people, I would absorb their issues, pains and
problems consumed with trying to help or fix.  Now interestingly, the
conversations are not so much about pains and problems as they are about
sharing in a way that leans into the possibilities of the future whatever
these may be. And when there are issues that surface, they don’t stick on me
like they used to. Also I find myself better able to lean on others, be more
vulnerable and open to their help and suggestions. Interestingly this has
increased my capacity for more and deeper friendships leading to a shared
purpose on many things that matter which bring us kinship and joy.

As I reflect now on the legacy of Open Space (community, process & OS list)
in my life, I also realize how the spirit of it has morphed itself into so
many people around me and then other folks around them (stories of this
abound).  As this happens more and more, I imagine the process of Open Space
receding perhaps disappearing at some point, because more and more people
will be “coming home to their own life” instead of life leading them in a
life that is truly not theirs. They will be living their own freedom and
choice from the “inside out” instead of the “outside in”.

For me this is not a linear path in the way that we “need to find ourselves
first”. It is blended in the actions we take, the outcomes that we get and
the joy that we have as we do purposeful work together.  And finally perhaps
what’s most beautiful of all is that this “inside-out” occurrence of life
initiated or not by Open Space is happening everywhere on this planet and
there is great joy in knowing it is so.

 Suzanne

--
Suzanne Daigle