[OSList] Happy wosonos - From Chile to London

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 23 10:11:24 PDT 2011

Hi
Phelim,

The
problem with "Whoever comes are the right people" is: what does it
mean "who comes" in these days?

have heard of companies that have made OST meetings with simultaneous
gatherings in two or more different locations, connected by ITC. In my opinion
all the people in any of those gatherings "came together"

have attended many conferences and meetings with people in many different
locations. These people "come together," still being away from each
other, in a "coming together" that was mediated by ICT and not by
plane (with a lower ecological footprint, btw).

We
all know of "communities" whose members are far away and even never
seen each other (the two of us, as members of the "OST Community",
are a good example).

And
when someone in one place connects with many people in many different places,
using Skype or any other tool - including the telephone - are they "coming
together" or not?

During
the OSonOS of 2003 in "SvenMark" the reports of the breakout sessions
were immediately putted in a Wiki and displayed in the web, were they could be
commented by people not in the meeting and eventually re-commented by the
people in the gathering. Being ill in bed with a lot of free time I was one of
those long distance participants. IMHO those outside that followed and
commented the event were also "coming", in a form of Jean Lave's
"legitimate peripheral participation".

If
OST changed the way we do meetings, ICT is changing the way we "come together"
and create communities. I am sure that we can have the best of those two worlds
if we are able to think about that in an innovative way.

agree with Susanne's suggestion of creating an international support group to
help the London Hosting team with that.

Anyhow,
I am planning to go to London, so this is not a personnel interest; it is something
I think we must consider and the sooner the better.

Care

Artur

PS: You also wrote about "being able to
view something through a camera like a security guard". What I think you are missing is that
people that are seeing "through the camera" are not security guards. They are
OST facilitators, members of the community, that in many cases have already
attended OST events and maybe even previous WOSonOS. If that was not true they
would never know about the transmission, neither be interested in following it.