[OSList] occupy Open Space?!

Pat Black patoitextiles at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 13:46:51 PDT 2011

The Occupy Minnesota is happening at the People's Plaza formerly known as
the Government Plaza.  This is a whole range of people that range from
anti-capitalist to Ron Paul supporters.  There were several hundred people
there Friday and Saturday, fewer today.  The mayor of Minneapolis spoke
through the people's mic on Friday and so did Jessie Ventura the former
governor / wrestler.  The police are relaxed and have been ordered to leave
people be within the constraints that have been set up.  There is lots of
learning about process going on.  The participants are mostly young and just
beginning to claim their space but there are a few old timers there as well
and of course the people who live on these streets normally.  They seem to
have their food and logistical pieces functioning well and are currently
looking for ways to get more folks out so that their presence can be
sustained especially when the weather turns.  We have been lucky weather
wise so far but the season will turn before long and when it does it could
be drastic.  I have seen 3 feet of snow and 20- zero on October 30th here,
so this can be a life threatening concern.

It has been great to be out there.  The energy is intense and full of
possibility.  There are lots of sentences that include the word space and
that is exciting.  I am hoping to spend a lot of time out there.  They are
going to create something akin to an agenda wall with the causes that have
brought people there.
Pat Black