[OSList] occupy Open Space?!

Frauke Godat frauke.godat at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 12:12:44 PDT 2011

...and to add to what Ria contributed:

- a few days ago more than 80 people from around the world gathered in this
virtual World Café:
http://www.wedialogue.com/what-is-moving-and-awakening.html with the
following online harvesting
space<http://www.theworldcafecommunity.org/group/what-is-moving-and-awakening-around-the-world>

- through the YIP/KaosPilot network, I connected to this question "What is
the future you want to occupy?" http://occupythefuture.org/

- And a small but deep Syntagma Café I co-hosted in Berlin in August around
the question Imagine you wake up in Berlin and you are living in real
democracy. What will happen on that
day?<http://futureatschool.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/learning-by-doing-practicing-democracy-at-the-berlin-agora/>

Best,
Frauke

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Ria Baeck <ria.baeck at vitis-tct.be> wrote:

> **
> Raffi,
>
> I guess you know about how Danni Gal started with putting round tables on
> the square in Tel Aviv, where people could start to talk in small groups?
> That eventually led to the 1000 Tabels event.
>
> http://artofhosting.ning.com/forum/topics/1000-table-world-cafe-in-israel-interview-inspiration-invitation
>
> Just a small thought,
> Ria
>

> On 8/10/11 06:35, Raffi Aftandelian wrote:
>
>  dear open space and genuine contact friends (aka spaceniki and, perhaps,
> "wheelies")-
>
>  Tonight marked the spirited kick-off for Occupy San Diego, one of the
> many local initiatives around the world taking place in solidarity with
> Occupy Wall Street. Speaking as a process artist (OST facilitator and
> Genuine Contact Program certified trainer) and a charmingly flawed co-human
> with a heart who is planning on camping out (occupy?!) on site for  while, I
> wanted to share some thoughts and observations and also extend an
> invitation.
>
>  First off, taking part in all of this- tonight's march or attending the
> General Assembly (I was at last night's assembly- 130 people were there!)-
> really stretches me. I can't align with any of the adversarial language and
> expression here. So, as we marched today I was just silent, holding my
> multi-colored sign which read, "What does a wise, compassionate and glocal
> response to massive economic injustice look like?"  Heck, even calling it
> "Occupy" make me shudder!!!
>
>  It is physically just very challenging to be in the presence of all of
> that energy. That said, from the the *moment* I heard of Occupy Wall Street,
> I had an *immediate* intuitive hit that this is something different, that
> this is something that I have to support. And at the very least this
> initiative could be supported by bearing witness-- and the simplest way I
> could do that is just camp there, just sleep there. That's it.
>
>  Perhaps the act of sleeping in a public space can be a way of claiming
> *and* opening space, a way of dreaming the New Story into being?
>
>  Also, I'm amazed to see how many different people locally have heard of
> the local Occupy San Diego initiative and how many different people I know
> showed up tonight! It's almost as if somewhere deep down there was a part of
> us that knew this is something we need to support.
>
>  One of the things that encouraged me while attending General Assembly
> last night was the readiness and willingness of people from disparate points
> of view to hear each other out. What I'm seeing is messy, imperfect, and I
> know and imagine that ball has been dropped. But overall, it's a rather
> encouraging picture. It's also encouraging to see meditation part of the
> picture, too. A 20+ minute flash mob still silent sitting meditation took
> place after the march tonight

> [...]

Frauke Godat
Projektleitung "Zukunft geht zur Schule"
Young Leaders Award 2008 der BMW Stiftung Herbert Quandt
Registration for Art of Hosting Training Berlin, November 18-20, 2011 is
open: http://tinyurl.com/64w72dr
phone (mobile): +49 (0)176 50 47 88 06
Twitter: @futureatschool @fraukeatschool
www.futureatschool.net