[OSList] Conversation as fractal (Was Re: energy field of the facilitator and its influence on OST outcomes)

Peggy Holman peggy at peggyholman.com
Wed Nov 2 08:52:28 PDT 2011

Dear Reinhard,

I am picking up on an old thread as I begin to look at a backlog of email.  I just couldn't let a particular assumption go by without comment.

First, I hope that you are fully recovered by now from your time in the hospital in August.

Next, I LOVE your visual work!  It adds so much. I always feel fortunate when people bring the visual into the space.  As you eloquently describe, it so enhances the experience.  Thank you for all you do.

The thread that caught my eye is an assumption in your ASPECT 1 below.  It's the notion that because someone is able to participate in just a few sessions that they only have a small slice of the puzzle.  I think that view contains the assumption that every session is completely unique, that conversations are linear. My experience through the years is that because people come together around a shared inquiry, while aspects of every session are unique, there's is a remarkable amount of shared substance that emerges from the sessions.

How many times have you experienced people discovering that a variation of the conversation they just had in a session is now going on elsewhere?  I see that as self-organization at work -- the dynamic of clustering as connections are made and meaning emerges.

I've come to see conversation as fractal, similar patterns showing up in many places.  It's part of the reason that I often notice people relaxing into less need to attend every session. Of course many factors affect how much synergy arises, but it happens enough to be significant.

In fact, this was a large part of the reason that I fell in love with Open Space. I got to experience this phenomenon during the first Open Space I ever attended. It was at U S WEST Communications in 1994.  The event is captured on video -- one of the early videos of Open Space in action.   (And it is now available on Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/25251316.

There were several hundred people: managers, engineers, network technicians, and others.  The question was how to make the telephone phone system reliable again.  After years of patchwork repairs, the statewide telephone system that people relied on went down during floods in Arizona. The OS meeting was called to figure out how to bring reliability back to the system.

I heard more 4-letter words at that meeting than I knew existed.  (For non-English speakers, "4 letter words" is a term for cursing.)  Still, by the end of the gathering, it was exquisitely clear to everyone that the company needed to invest in rehabilitation of the basic plant.  While there was voting on the last day to set specific priorities, the ability to act was strong because everyone present understood the need.  And the commitment to act was widely embraced.

About a week after the OS, a follow-up meeting happened.  It clinched this idea that people got a sense of the full picture without having to attend every session.  In an unprecedented move, rather than just managers, the department head invited anyone who wanted to attend to come to the follow-up meeting.  I was awestruck as a network technician advocated for hiring contract help to take care of repairs so that full time staff were freed up to rehab the basic plant.  And he had plenty of support from others. In fact, there was NO pushback.

To put this in context, the network technicians are unionized. Hiring contract labor is a serious sore point with them.  And contract negotiations to renew a multi-year agreement were happening in the background.  Still, at the OS, this tech "got" a clearer picture of the whole system than he had ever had. In doing so, he saw the merit in using contract labor to meet the needs of the organization AND to help him do what he cared about: provide reliable service to customers.  In other words, he -- and others -- were now making decisions from a whole system perspective.

So that's about it.  I see this emergent dynamic as one key reason why self-organization seems like magic.

appreciatively,
Peggy

_________________________________
Peggy Holman
peggy at peggyholman.com

15347 SE 49th Place
Bellevue, WA  98006
425-746-6274
www.peggyholman.com
www.journalismthatmatters.org

Enjoy the award winning Engaging Emergence: Turning Upheaval into Opportunity

"An angel told me that the only way to step into the fire and not get burnt, is to become
the fire".
  -- Drew Dellinger