[OSList] Soliciting Open Space facilitation/organization "feedback"

Lisa Heft lisaheft at openingspace.net
Tue May 24 10:44:48 PDT 2011

Great questions, Harold.

So whenever someone wants to solicit feedback, or do evaluation - we
typically have a conversation about what is it they would like to
measure - as I explain to them what the process delivers and what the
timing is for dialogue, receiving the Book of Proceedings (often a
week or so post-event for specific reasons), and we also talk about
how the brain works (action, reflection, integration of thinking,
clustering of information).

Because otherwise they tend to measure what one does for a presenter-
lecturer or a physical project: what knowledge the 'expert' had on the
subject, did they (the 'expert' / lecturer) provide notes -
traditional-meeting things like that.  I remind them that the success
of the event will not be 'was Lisa a fabulous facilitator' but more of
a focus on the participants themselves.

I share with them what data will already come out of the Open Space -
a full Book of Proceedings as a narrative to look through for
patterns, thoughts, feelings - which for me also includes the verbatim
notes of what people said in their Closing Circle comments and
reflections. Sometimes that is not just all they need - it is more
than they ever hoped for -and- in the participants' words. So they
love it.

If there are further things to invite feedback or to evaluate in other
ways - what are those things?
For example, we know that impact on *behavior* (what did you change or
feel as a result of this event) is a hard thing to measure - because
everything else in the constellation of someone's life affects those
shifts or decisions as well. One's peer norms, one's environment, the
other things that happen around one, one's freedom to make the
changes, a million things.
So sometimes it is interesting to not do quite an evaluation, but to
offer participants a way to name to themselves what they would like to
be or do or change in their own ways and lives. For example, they
write one or two of these thing on a post card before Closing Circle
begins - you scribe all those (perhaps the evaluators or meeting hosts
would like to see that for measurement or reflection) - then you mail
those cards back to the participants in three months (or whatever) as
their own reminder to self in their own words.

If one is to measure the effectiveness or success of an idea or
project that came out of the OS event - so many things affect that as
well - resources, ability to continue working outside one's
organizational role, support from management, freedom to act,
communication and feedback with other teams and individuals about this
and other projects, and so on. Again - a harder thing to measure.

If it is feedback on the process, that often comes out of the Closing
Circle comments and reflections.
Feedback on the food? Be careful what you ask for - people are VERY
passionate about this. But / and in Open Space usually there is
constant food so they LOVE that.

It looks like among the other things Journalism That Matters wanted to
measure / receive feedback on was very specific resource issues - a
great idea - about housing, access, and so on - so they can improve
and stay responsive to all that.

It also looks like they asked people to illustrate their 'high points'
- perhaps this is useful for excerpting quotes for the invitation
process to / description of the next event.
All very useful for their continuing series of events and growing
their learning community ongoing.
I look forward to hearing from Peggy more of the thoughts behind their
survey.

So again: It all depends on what you need to measure, why, what you
will be using the data for and so on - that informs not just the
evaluation design but - as this discussion can I hope happen in the
Pre-Work stage - inform development of tools and mechanisms for post-
event / between-a-series-of-events needs as well as improved access,
resources for participants and more.  Or again: sometimes it is not
needed because the Book of Proceedings and Closing Circle comments
answer the questions the organizers or evaluators wonder about.

I like the idea of doing Appreciative Inquiry-style explorations.
I even more like taking groups through a Focused Conversation
(Institute of Cultural Affairs / Technology of Participation method).
Because it can take people back through their body memory of an
experience before they get to the thoughts and recommendations part.
That might be so very great for a post-event survey as it would at the
same time provide participants with a reflective tool.

If - that is - it is not 'one more thing' to add on. I'm all about
knowing why and to what end we do things when we work with groups...

What do others think?

Lisa

Lisa Heft
Consultant, Facilitator, Educator