[OSList] Question about largish open space

Jennifer Hurley JLHurley at hfadesign.com
Tue May 17 15:18:45 PDT 2011

Hello everyone.  Some months ago I shared a story about introducing OS to
the Congress for the New Urbanism over several years. In just 2 weeks, the
annual Congress will include OS as one of the plenaries for the first time
ever.  Here¹s how OS will be incorporated into the Congress schedule:

Day 1
9 ­ 10:30 -  OS in morning plenary (nothing else is scheduled at this time ­
expect 300-400 people)
Rest of the day ­ OS available concurrently with regular conference breakout
sessions

Day 2
OS available throughout the day concurrently with breakout sessions

Day 3
OS available in the morning concurrently with breakout sessions
12:45 ­ 1:45 ­ OS wrap-up (in plenary room with nothing else scheduled at
the time, but over lunchtime)

Here¹s our theme:
* How can we employ new urbanist principles to help our world become safer,
happier, and more prosperous?
* How can the CNU organization have the greatest impact in the coming years?

So I have a couple of questions for this incredibly experienced, thoughtful,
and helpful (!) group.

For the OS in the morning plenary on Day 1, this will be the first time that
many people hear of OS. We¹re going to open up the schedule for the entire
3-day period at this time. I expect that the opening will take 20-30
minutes. Should we give a full hour to 1 discussion session, or should we
try to have some kind of ³closing² in the last 15 minutes of the time slot,
so people who have never experienced OS see the full arc?

Based on past experience with OS during the Congress (never in such a
prominent role before), we expect that some OS discussions will generate
projects that people want to continue working on during the year.  For the
wrap-up on the last day, we want to give people a chance to find other
people to join their projects and also to reflect on the experience with OS.
o  5 min ­ Welcome: Thank people for participating and explain what we will
do during the closing session
o  10-15 min ­ Continuing the Work: Invite people who intend to continue
work on their topic or initiative during the year to give a 1-minute
³advertisement² about their effort
o  20-25 min ­ Reflection: Give people the opportunity to respond to the
question: What was the biggest take-away for you from your participation in
OS?
o  20 min ­ Notes Gallery: Have the movable notes wall in the plenary room
for this session, and leave time for people to review the notes and sign up
for topics they¹re interested in

Any thoughts or reactions to that plan?  Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks so much. It¹s very helpful to know that there¹s this wise group to
reach out to!

Jennifer Hurley
HURLEY~FRANKS & ASSOCIATES
1500 Walnut St STE 504  |  Philadelphia, PA 19102
p: 215-988-9440  |  f: 215-988-9441  |  c: 267-971-4598
JLHurley at hfadesign.com  |  http://www.hfadesign.com
Certified WDBE through PA UCP, City of Philadelphia OEO, NJ UCP, DE UCP