[OSList] briefing after an "Open Express" in Bilbao_Eutokia

ELEDER AURTENETXE PILDAIN eleder.aurtenetxe at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:46:49 PDT 2011

I was certainly a bit reluctant about the stuff...

   - someone who had seen us facilitate another OS had asked for an Open
   Space but time passed and passed and we didn´t get to meet (it was finally
   just one week before the event the first and only meeting, after some short
   phone and e-mail conversations);
   - my mind was unconfident and (definitely illy-) judging the situation
   from time to time (*"they seem to want to do it just to be
trendy,..."*and the kind of missthinking);
   - they had scheduled and distributed an "Open Space" event but they were
   fixing the subjects to be spoken about and even had planned for time when
   *"each 15-20 people group would present their conclusions"*;
   - they had planned for just 2 hours; I was even "punishing" myself (you
   are doing it just for the money, you may be doibng damn to the
   os_community),...
   - i was told in the first conversaton that around 40 people where going
   to take part, i said "ok, but this place is quite small for 40 people"; a
   week before the event i was told it woud be for 70 people!!! and that it
   must be in the same place!
   - I had taken the responsibility to contract a Graphic Recorder (the
   cc-oed alex carrascosa, great job!) and to supply the catering (both first
   time) ....

something strange happened, nevertheless, even if I tended to be negative
from time to time, I had a deep confidence (whatever,... :o). I even decided
to take it upon myself without asking this wonderful community for advise
(it would also had taken its time...)

as I said, just a week before the event we finally got to meet...

   -  I found a profoundly respectful and helpful team.
   - They really knew what we where going on, and those who didn´t, did
   immediately assume the OS spirit.
   - I proposed (and immediately had it accepted) to stretch the event to a
   3´5 hours thing with opening, to 45´ time-lines and closing

The day (last Thursday, June 2nd) came and

   - we had the "young-spirited :o)" sit on the floor, some stood up in a
   third line, the walking space was minimal
   - I finally could not take my 15 minutes for relaxing and reviewing (but
   all the in-site preparation time had really been relaxed and so good
   humoured, and I had reviewed my opening mind-map the night before),...
   - the group (once-more-very-illy supposed to be quite pasive,...
   "administration people, you know?") was surprisingly, even to the point to
   propose a short, brilliant, funny (risky for my need of control)
   all-group-intervention in the middle of the opening; I let go and accepted
   and it, sure, was energizing!
   - as soon as i stopped the opening some 4 people where writing topics...
   - as it usually is it resulted in great fun, great work, satisfaction,
   peace, involvement,...and the closing circle was a very nice reflection of
   this,

Definitely, I feel more confident than ever and more and more prepared to be
surprised...

love,

* Eleder BuM31    Mind Mapping-Open Space Technology-Creativity*
www.burumapak.blogspot.com (eus)   @Eleder_BuM<http://twitter.com/Eleder_BuM>
(Twitter)
www.in-fluyendo.blogspot.com (esp)   www.flowandshow.blogspot.com  (eng)

pd: by the way, I explained a bit about the OS community and just mentioned
the 5th pinciple conversation in the opening as a sign of its life without
explaining it,...  but someone asked what it was about, and, as I said
"wherever it is, is the right place" and linked it to these days
#spanishrevolution gatherings, everybody caught it so quickly!... good times
for opening space around here :o)!

pd2: Next event on the agenda, first 2´5 days OS (July 4-6, in the so
beautiful San Sewbastian) in the nearby, first full in Basque (if we forgot
the centuries of OS life before us :o),...with this subject: *"Dreaming and
acting about the future of education: who are we educating our future
generations?"*. Here the
invi<http://burumapak.blogspot.com/2011/05/nola-hezi-behar-ditugu-hurrengo.html>(in
Basque).