[OSList] Half-day Open Space? - Different convergence

Diane Gibeault diane.gibeault at rogers.com
Tue Jul 19 08:02:31 PDT 2011

Hi Elder,

This approach of an Action Sheet as you describe below works well for short OS
events even if participants have not read reports at the News wall and other
reports to be completed after the closing.

I also use it for multiple OS consultations where the client does not want
actions developed until all consultation events have taken place but wants to
know what people are passionate about for possible follow-ups.

Where the client also wants to know about collective priorities for the
consultation or for the organization in relations to the purpose of the OS
meeting, I do a separate sheet, a "Survey on Priorities" requiring no name
(anonymous like a vote), with the following question:
·      Given our goal reflected in our theme,
·      Given the needs of the organization, clients and staff, and
·      Based on the discussions at this event, formal and informal:
What are the 3 priorities we, as an organization, must act on now?

The 2 sheets (priorities and actions) are put in separate piles in the centre of
the circle for compilation and distribution after the event.

A separate meeting for "OS on Action" can follow using the consolidated
priorities and the list of action ideas as the new starting point.
Alternatively people are invited to follow their passion and participate to
different meetings organized around actions that stand out from the
compilation.
In addition, they can be invited to act on whatever else they have passion for,
as long as they consult and coordinate with the existing channels of decision
making in their unit and organization.

Where action development is to be taking place separately of the OS event, I
find that the simplicity of this approach (action sheet, and priority sheet
where applicable) brings flexibility and makes OST more accessible. I hope this
is helpful to you.

Diane