[OSList] Open Space with some off-limits -- Individual Sessions

Harold Shinsato harold at shinsato.com
Sun Jul 17 23:12:01 PDT 2011

Harrison and Suzanne,

Thanks for attending my session on how to improve individual session
facilitation!

I totally agree that the "whatever happens" helps deal with the results
of hosting a session, Suzanne. And I also completely agree that the
process of the Open Space itself should not be interfered with. I'm not
looking for an OST intervention!!! Wandering facilitation trainers - ugh!

My wondering isn't about improving Open Space - it's about improving
myself - and maybe making that learning available to others also
interested in improving their own participation.

For myself, hosting an Open Space conference has been weirdly more
simple than getting people to come to my sessions! Part of it is that
there is so much help for how to host an Open Space. Lisa Heft's
training was indispensable for me. Attending other people's Open Space
events was also incredibly powerful. There's the manual, there's OSList.
And actually hosting and facilitating them was the biggest training
ground of them all. In a way, that's also true for convening successful
OST sessions. Practice. Do it. Learn from doing. Do it again. What I
sense is that there's a lot of the "learn from doing" that we don't
really have to be doing alone. That could be shared. There's a wealth of
experience to get to the learning faster!

Interestingly, the one particular challenge I had with getting the Open
Space to work was the same challenge I had with my sessions. Getting
people to come. It's nice saying "whatever happens" and "whoever comes"
but I think more guidance could be made available (but again, not in the
Open Space). One of the best advice I heard about this is that it's just
about inviting people into the circle and doing it again and again. But
again, I think more could be uncovered. One thing I just had a sense for
myself was to reach out to already existing communities and participate.
The way to reach out is something I'm still learning. The book "Made to
Stick" has helped with the wording. But I can tell there's more to learn.

There's another bit of advice I received just yesterday from a fellow
software developer who is also an Open Space fan. Arlo Belshee was
attempting to answer the question of an author I respect greatly about
what would work best as a session. I had already said my piece which
reflected my awareness of the community and what topics were the most
interesting, and how that might intersect with his own interests. I
found Arlo's advice even better, and in a way it was related. Arlo said
he never plans his sessions in advance as to what he's going to say.
Instead he reads the room and hears what people are talking about. And
Arlo gets great attendance at his sessions at all the Open Space events
I've seen him at - which have been quite a few. In a way, Arlo's advice
sounded a lot like a Toyote Production Systems practice (a lean
manufacturing practice) called Genchi Genbutsu
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genchi_Genbutsu> - "Go to the source to
find the facts to make correct decisions." It's about being more present
and see what's actually going on. Some people already know and can
surface what needs to surface at the right time. I seem to need to work
at it!

This all happened yesterday for me at Seattle Lean Camp
<http://leancamp.crowdvine.com/>, which was a properly facilitated Open
Space Technology conference. Jeremy Lightsmith did a great job opening
the space. Many people wondered after the event why people are still
paying thousands for traditional conferences when so clearly we get
better results for just $50 using Open Space. It's a good question!

I got another powerful hint at what can help get people to come to your
sessions. At the Open Space evening news on Saturday for Lean Camp
Seattle, the facilitators asked what percentage of the attendees had
been to "Lean Coffee". It was over 50%! Their Lean Coffee was described
as the same thing as Open Space except in just a couple hours. It's an
open forum that happens about once a month at a cafe' in Seattle to talk
about lean management/software issues. Whoever comes is the right
people. They put their topics up on cards, like the Open Space
billboard, and then work their way through the topics in vote priority
order. It's not quite the same as an OST conference, but multiple people
claimed that their lean coffee events were basically "the same" as OST.
Jeremy Lightsmith and Jim Benson have succeeded in creating a full blown
Open Space conference and getting high attendance by creating the
feeling of Open Space in stammtisch style in advance - creating
community and credibility by taking the time to initiate and invite
again and again people into conversation.

There's a lot more to be said here but this is already way too long.
Perhaps it'd be better for me not to ask the question, just be happy
with the guidance that's already available, and be satisfied. I hope I
don't offend by continuing to ask the question and wondering - if people
don't like my question I'm probably going to continue to host the
session and attend just by myself. I seem to do that often! But I'm
going to keep asking: How can I get better at convening successful
sessions at OST conferences?

     Regards,
     Harold