[OSList] Open Space with some off-limits -- Individual Sessions

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Thu Jul 14 14:01:06 PDT 2011

Harold wrote: "It's interesting that Open Space gives very minimal advice
for convening sessions - but I can tell that some are much better at it than
others. Both in the choice of topics that are relevant and in the actual
facilitation of the group conversation. I continue to be curious about what
works and what doesn't work for the convening of individual sessions in an
Open Space."

It is a curiosity, for sure. And you are not the first, nor doubtless the
last to wonder. Over the years, people have tried just about everything,
ranging from "Providing Guidelines for discussion" - to recruiting a corps
of wandering facilitators, available upon request. Some even tried "assigned
facilitators." Or a "designated process - e.g. "Dialogue."

I can't say that I have seen it all, but what I have seen brought me to the
conclusion that any intervention was, at the very least, more trouble than
it was worth. And in worse case scenarios, actually counter-productive.
Nobody ever followed the "Guidelines." The "wandering facilitators" were
inevitably in the wrong place and either sat on their hands or were totally
overwhelmed. Attempts to manage the process with "assigned facilitators"
drove the "managers" crazy as the natural dynamics of Open Space refused to
follow any process they envisioned, and if they attempted to control the
dynamics of OS - well good luck! Mandating some formal process like Dialogue
really gummed up the works. It was just too slow and out of sync with the
ebb and flow of discussion. And it often seemed that people were more
concerned to "manage the process" than to talk to each other. Even worse,
stupid discussions (my judgment) were continued because people assumed that
if they got the process right, the discussion would improve.  From where I
sat the problem was that the topic was a mindless matter of minimal concern,
and yet the moribund horse continued to be beaten. Or something.

Perhaps it is the eternal optimist in me - or something about half full
glasses. My wonderment was that the sessions were as good as they were, and
generally speaking - better than any facilitated session I had ever
attended. Could it possibly be that the whole business of "facilitation" was
vastly overrated? Heresy!!!

But as I concentrated on what was clearly working very well "all by itself"
I began to notice that even in those situations where the discussion was
less than outstanding (by whatever standards), nevertheless useful things
were happening. For example, was the stated topic never addressed? Yes, but
what came up was infinitely better and more interesting, I thought. I think
I learned something: People really don't know what they are talking about
UNTIL they create to talk. Which is why tightly built agendas never seem to
work. Yes you cover the agenda, but did you do anything useful, productive,
creative? By definition, NO! You ended up in precisely the position you said
you were going to reach - so why take the trip in the first place? You were
already there. Just write the minutes in advance and cancel the meeting.

Then there were those situations where the whole thing was just stupid and
snarky. People argued endlessly about nothing of importance - just for the
sake of arguing, it seems. But even that painful experience turned out (more
often than not) to be a positive. Folks learned to use the Law of Two Feet.
Or at the very least, they learned that they COULD use the Law next time -
unless they honestly enjoyed being miserable and non-productive. Which does
happen.

Anyhow, Harold, your wonderment is a shared one. But after some years
considering the emergent situation, I have come to the conclusion that any
fix I might propose will create more problems than it solves. That could
just be lazy, and doubtless younger and more subtle minds may find a way.
But I ain't holding my breath.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

189 Beaucaire Ave. (summer)

Camden, Maine 20854

Phone 301-365-2093

(summer)  207-763-3261

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: