[OSList] Openspace and Toastmasters - A Taster

Tim Lam timkylam at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 21:20:12 PST 2011

Thanks Michelle,

Happy New Year all!

TM primarily uses prepared speeches and table topics (impromptu speech) to promote public speaking skills.  In order to be certified at the first level (CC - Competent Communicator) one has to give 10 speeches (project) whereby each speech has a different objective e.g (1. ice breaker, 2. organize your speech, 3. get to the point, 5. your body speaks..) and the evaluation of each has a different checklist e.g. Evaluation to organise your speech would include:

Speech value -  interesting, meaningful
Preparation - research, rehearsal
Organization -  logical, clear
Opening - attention-getting, led into topic
Body - flowed smoothly
Conclusion - effective
Transitions - appropriate, helpful

The rigid format of TM means that each evaluator is given a checklist according to the CC guide, ie role in session, and speech they may be evaluating:
http://www.toastmasters.org/Members/MemberExperience/MeetingRoles/Evaluator.aspx

 A typical meeting agenda could be:

19:00 Get Together
19:15 Welcome and Opening Remarks
19:19 Toastmaster of the Evening Opening
19:25 Table Topics (Impromptu Speech)
19:36 Speaker 1: (Prepared Speech)
19:43 Speaker 2: (Prepared Speech)
19:51 Speaker 3: (Prepared Speech)
19:59 Speaker 4: (Prepared Speech)
20:10 Introduction of New Guests
20:13 BREAK
20:24 Evaluation – Table Topics
20:30 Evaluation – For Speaker 1
20:34 Evaluation – For Speaker 2
20:38 Evaluation – For Speaker 3
20:42 Evaluation – For Speaker 4
20:46 Time Keeper Report
20:49 Ah Counter Report
20:52 Language Evaluation
20:56 General Evaluation
21:05 Voting
21:08 Closing Remarks and Announcement

As far as previous OS sessions are concerned, the agenda would be approximately:

19:00- Opening Cirle, the theme, the principles, the law,
Creating the agenda
19:30- First round of group discussion
20:00- Second round of group discussion
20:30-21:00 Closing Circle

I was considering to change the format slightly:

19:00-19:10
19:10-19:30 Opening welcome by TM, introducing the changes in this "joined up" format
Opening Cirle, the theme, the principles, the law, Creating the agenda
19:30- First round of group discussion
20:00- Second round of group discussion
20:30-21:50
20:50-21:00 Convenor / Group discussion "report-back"Closing Circle / Remarks

The time for the group discussions may need to be reduced accordingly and I was thinking the thinking the closing circle may be changed to focus on a report-back format.  The report back may be from the group convenor or just anyone who attended the group.  As for voting maybe just a show or hands, use of sticky dots to vote on topic, and present 'prize' to topic convenor?  TM usually present ribbons to the best speaker, table topic speech... at the end of each session. (http://www.toastmasters.org/MainMenuCategories/Shop/Awards/BESTSPEAKERRIBBONSETSETOF10534.aspx)

As for theme, probably somewhere along the lines: "How can we best become competent leaders?  What are the issues and how can they be best addressed?"

Regards,

Tim.