[OSList] Openspace and Toastmasters - A Taster

Tim Lam timkylam at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 05:42:29 PST 2011

Warm wishes to all and the best of health this festive season!

As a distant spacer and located within the corporate (no names mentioned) world, we recently ran a 2 hour OS taster, faciliated by our dear friend Mark Pixley (Thanks again Mark!).  It was really well received and the feedback extremely positive given the 'short' time period and the session being held after normal office hours.

It is great to see more discussions and fantastic advice on 'mini-sessions', however I am planning to run a joint session with a Toastmasters (TM) club!  Without going into too much details about the TM 'philosophy' and hopefully not to offend any TM'ers.  TM aims to improve speaking and leadership skills by running 'speech projects' which are timed and evaluated.

What are ones thoughts on how a balance can be made between the 'chaos' of OS and the 'rigidity' of TM?

Although the session may not be run for a few months (their time is booked for the next two) I thought it may be interesting to see ones points of view.  The main question is still brewing but I'm thinking about a 'Leadership', as TM run 'Competent Communication' and 'Competent Leadership' certifications.  Any suggestions for 'the' question?

Good Health !

Tim.