[OSList] OST - Open Systems Thinking

Artur Silva arturfsilva at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 01:38:54 PST 2011

Peggy (also Birgitt, Harrison and all):

Bertalanffy spoke about "General Systems Theory" - the tytle of
his most known book - where he talked mostly about "Open Systems". I
never heard that he used the expression "Open Systems Theory", and he
never used, as far as I know, acronyms - so he never used OST.

In what concerns Emery and Trist, they are most known from their
experiences at the Tavistock Institute in the UK, where they begin talking
about "socio-technical systems" - that Enid Munford later used to
understand (Organizational) Information Systems Requirements Analysis and
Design, using the "ETHICS" approach.

What I didn't know (and discovered from a completely different reason -
searching for predecessors of the "Chaordic Systems Theory" - CST), was that
Emery also used Open Systems Theory, that he abbreviated to OST.

In the Wikipedia page you mentioned, Peggy, it's written:

Sociotechnical systems is one
part of a comprehensive theoretical framework called Open Systems
Theory (OST). Two of Emery's and Trist's key publications were: "The
Causal Texture of Organisational Environments"(1965) - which became a
citation classic - and "Towards a Social Ecology" (1972). These
publications are the groundwork on which Fred Emery developed OST.

So I think that Emery use of OST has no relation with Open Systems
Technology and was probably used first.

But that is more of a "curiosity" than anything else: even if "Open Space Technology" was copyrighted the acronym wouldn't be, I
presume.

But if OST was copyrighted or trademarked it would be a completely
different animal, of course. For me the non-copyrighted nature of Open Space Technology is one of its
"foundations". I would never be interested in OST if it was copyrighted
and had any "certification programs" associated...

Best

Artur

PS: Another curiosity is that if one searches in Google for "Open
Systems Institute" the first entry is no longer a Canadian
environmental organization (as I pointed out to you, Peggy, some time ago), but
one of the enters corresponds to The
Institute for Open Systems Technologies Pty Ltd  (http://www.ifost.org.au/)
- an IT company... So, as Harrison pointed out, there is no use in defending the indefensible...