[OSList] Steve Jobs & Open Space

Skye Hirst skyeh at autognomics.org
Sat Dec 3 13:12:38 PST 2011

Larry, Thanks so much for that overview of the Jobs biography.  I'd
like to explore your question of how does what he did in  his self-
centered ways, lead to such productivity and quality of result?
Where is the Open Space and self-organization?    Each being/entity
is self-directed and a closed system. (with the exception of energy
consumption) Jobs could only be himself.  His "subjective aim"  was
in focus for him within himself and he and he alone could know if
what was being created was coherent with that vision.  There is an
intensity that comes with "being on purpose"  and it is contagious I
believe.  it also acts as inspiration for others to act in ways that
call out "being on purpose/true to  yourself"  insisting on what is
truth for your being nature.  But there is an even deeper nature that
provides coherence for this process and that's just being discovered
- there are laws of living/creative coherence - I believe that's what
Harrison and so many here speak and point to that they experience
through Open Space processes.

When people are called together under these conditions,  something
wonderful can happen as "the many become one and are increased by
one" in the words of Whitehead.  This is the creative process of life
becoming = it connects us to our aliveness, we find meaning and
fulfillment when we act in concert with our purpose and even more
meaning when that purpose can be joined with others doing the same.
The personal purpose within a greater purpose that has meaning,
worthiness and even urgency which one could see in the Apple
environment, provides deep satisfaction for each participant in the
vision.  If you look up the word compete, it means to "seek
together."  There is a value sense of  satisfaction as we fulfill our
own uniqueness of being and sense the connection to a greater whole.
Any environment that creates such conditions for life - is as
Harrison says, "how life works if we let it."

Help! Sorry for the language - we are exploring a realm that needs
new language and so we work here at Autognomics to find new ways of
talking about these emerging discoveries of life, living processes
and how life creates, knows itself - Open Space and Open Spacers are
pointing out beautifully  that "process IS reality"  - a value
sensing process and as we share our own inner experiencing of this
process we discover hopefully the bigger picture and ways of Life-
itself, it's self-organizing and connectedness.  Thanks for reading
this far, Skye

On Dec 3, 2011, at 10:00 AM, Larry Peterson wrote:

> I just finished reading Walter Isaacson's book "Steve Jobs". The
> last chapter has an interesting summary of some of the issues that
> his successful life raises particularly with regard to open versus
> closed IT product systems.
>
> Jobs chose to drive towards integrated, high quality, creative
> design and mostly closed products and systems. The openness is
> primarily for app developers who can count on a consistent
> operating system across products. This makes it easier to develop
> high quality applications that you know will work on phones iPad or
> iPod my son says.
>
> Jobs did not believe in market research because his ideas were
> beyond anyone's expectations and he believed that this vision would
> create the products that people would want. He pushed his engineers
> and the details of his vision mercilessly. Even Isaacson saw that
> the technical term assh*le applied to him quite often. He was a
> self centered Zen Buddhist who did not appropriate the more subtle
> qualities of a caring person. He was open to learning as long as it
> came to be his idea.
>
> His vision “opened space” for those who would work at their top
> level to realize it.  When they didn’t he was mean and spiteful.
> And many didn’t understand his view of good design together with
> good technology.  He was used to getting what he wanted, even as a
> child, and this provided the hubris to move forward.  The space of
> silicon valley with its nutrient rich environment of engineers and
> garages and good schools made it possible for Apple to get going.
> His personal Zen Buddist journey provided the self development, but
> did not make him self aware, just confident in his own vision.
>

> People around the world got engaged in his visionary leadership and
> became followers of Apple as a counter culture product, even when
> it stumbled. It certainly has worked in the market place to
> integrate superior products that then set the model for the others
> to come.  Will Google and Microsoft be able to catch up?
>
> As a PC person, I now find the products are quite amazing and the
> integration makes it easy for me to connect my iPad with my iPhone
> and project pictures on Apple TV with out enormous effort and
> technical know-how. The products and the integration are fun even
> if they are more costly. I think the book is a great read .
>
> So where is the Open Space and the self-organization, other than at
> the beginning – maybe that was enough for real, committed if crazy
> leadership to emerge?
>
> Larry
>

> Larry Peterson & Associates in Transformation
>
> Toronto, Ontario, Canada
>
> larry at spiritedorg.com   416.653.4829 http://www.spiritedorg.com

Skye Hirst, PhD
The Autognomics Institute
A Living World-view; the nature of reality

skyeh at autognomics.org
www.autognomics.org
Twitter @autognomics