[OSList] energy field...... outcomes

Michael Herman michael at michaelherman.com
Thu Aug 4 08:51:31 PDT 2011

i like this, florian.  it reminds me that some time ago i started describing
(to would-be facilitators) the practice of open space as a series of
decisions.  when i'm training or coaching others, we always work with a real
situation, so the decisions they/we make have real consequences.  they raise
the questions, i lay out as many different options as i've seen, tried,
heard of, and talk a bit about what option i like in that situation and why
i like it.  they talk about same, and ultimately make a choice.  then they
go facilitate and test our choices.  in this way, i've come to understand
open space facilitation as a practice in resting into a flow or stream of
decisions.  as my practice grows, i am able to process more and different
data sets into my decisions.  always, in open space, there is no pre-set
agenda or other such structures to default to, but there are some mileposts
(opening, evening news, etc).  in each moment, i'm taking in all kinds of
info, everything that i can be aware of, even if not totally consciously and
verbally, and making a decision.  do i sit, stand, walk out, speak, ring,
clean, eat, etc?  i keep stretching the field/layers i'm paying attention
to, i keep deciding, and always the info is partial.  always there is
uncertainty.  and i like what you say because always after the fact there is
more and better data, and the opportunity to second guess myself.  there is
some learning in reflecting on consequences, relative to expectations,
guesses, desires i had at the moment of each decision, but as you say, next
time will always be different.  so the review may be interesting, but i
don't think it gives us anything more than perhaps a wider array of options,
or a bigger data set.  it doesn't give us more certainty.  we don't really
"know" anything as a result of our analysis.  and maybe we really know less,
so are more uncertain.  in deeper.

--

Michael Herman
Michael Herman Associates