[OSList] Open Space -- Naturally

Michael M Pannwitz mmpanne at boscop.org
Fri Apr 29 12:26:27 PDT 2011

To me its entering the realm where selforganisation more perceivably
reigns... of course, I think, selforganisation is there - no matter what
levers we pull or push -  and under the influence of OST it tends to
unfold its force which creates the contras to the "Monday Morning
Syndrome"...
My experience has been that it is simple to enter open space but it is
not easy, the steps seem clear but the resistance to stepping is high...
being in trainings I have used the idea of "remembering" open space
assuming that we come from there but our ability to see it has withered
under the forces of control.
So the shortest, most direct way to get into  the open space experience
and having a chance to "remember" open space is to, yes, get into it...
which has me back at "no starters, warm ups, or whatever". Sticking to
that (regardless of whether it is in a "training" setting or in a
"regular" OST event) seems simple but requires a sturdy heart and
soul... something that belongs to the basic makeup of ourselves.

In a weeks time I will be on my way to Sardinia for a gathering of 50+
colleagues, friends and sponsors of OST event at the 2nd European Open
Space Learning Exchange (an old fashioned way of saying OSonOS) which
will start on May 17 (more here > http://www.boscop.org/events/636)
...a good opportunity to expand our conversation and hone our
perception, join in!

Greetings from Berlin
mmp

On 29.04.2011 17:58, Harrison Owen wrote:
> Michael’s recent posting is a gem, I think. Particularly when he said, “
> so we don't so much as teach open space, but suggest that it's normal,
> and useful... then it's easier to deal with some of those complex,
> diverse, urgent, passionate meeting situations.”
>
> It is a common phenomenon that when first experiencing Open Space we
> tend to be blown away by the elegant simplicity, the ease and intimacy
> of relationships, the power of the energies released, the productive
> creation of new and fascinating ideas… And when contrasted with our
> everyday experience it almost seemed that we had entered a new world.
> The contrast was painful and almost inevitably yielded the “Monday
> Morning Syndrome.” After having wandered in something like the Garden of
> Eden it is very difficult to contemplate a return to the normal drudge
> of the typical Monday Morning.
>
> I can surely understand the feelings if only because they were my own.
> However, if 25 years with Open Space have taught be anything, it is that
> the Monday Morning Syndrome is a matter of choice, and the pain
> experienced is, to some large extent, a self inflicted wound. There is
> probably no way to change the frustrations and tribulations of the world
> we live in – stuff happens. But what can change is the way we perceive
> all of that and seek to deal with it. If our response to Tribulation X
> and Frustration Y is to yank the (supposed) levers of control, and then
> feel guilty or victimized when our best efforts fail – as is almost
> inevitably the case – the misery we experience is of our own making. And
> there is another way, a very natural way. Just open space.
>
> Opening space is not a matter of designing a process, even less of doing
> a process. For the process pre-exists ourselves by millennia, and if
> anything – the process does us. It is just as natural as breathing.
> Maybe it is breathing?
>
> Harrison
>

> Harrison Owen
>
> 7808 River Falls Dr.
>
> Potomac, MD 20854
>
> USA
>
> Phone 301-365-2093
>
> www.openspaceworld.com
>
> www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
>
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
> OSLIST Go
> to:http://lists.openspacetech.org/listinfo.cgi/oslist-openspacetech.org

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany
++49-30-772 8000
mmpanne at boscop.org
www.boscop.org

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 431 resident Open
Space Workers in 71 countries working in a total of 141 countries worldwide
Have a look:
www.openspaceworldmap.org