[OSList] Sign of change in China

Gijs Mega gijs at megainternational.com.hk
Wed Apr 13 19:50:25 PDT 2011

Dear Harrison and OS friends,

Allow me to share recent news from the Chinese national basketball teams, which in my view indicates change towards a more open, passionate sports choice and society.
By the way during all OST events facilitated by me in Shanghai, I saw enormous enthusiasm and openess; foreigners and Chinese alike. This did not surprise me, but it did surprise others.

The total link
http://www.china.org.cn/video/2011-04/13/content_22346728.htm

Excerpt
Lasting for years, the traditional mode emphasizes discipline and hard work, and has yielded tremendous results for Chinese sports teams so far. Many athletes born in the '70s and '80s, including some star players, also received insults and beatings from coaches.

But today, many athletes, born in the '90s, reject this disciplinarian approach, likely due to the fact their lives and training facilities have seen great improvements from their predecessors. And most of today's Chinese athletes are playing sports out of passion, instead of a choice made to achieve wealth or success, which was the case for most of the previous athletes.

best wishes,

From shanghai, Gijs van Wezel

Send from iPad