[OSList] Reflexions about Open Space in Haiti

fremy cesar fremycesar at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:02:16 PDT 2011

Dear Open Space friends,

It
is with great pleasure that I’m writing this report on the 9th annual
Open Space meeting in Haiti.  In
Haiti, Open Space has become a crucial tool in helping organizations or any
other group change their practices in order to achieve more participation and
shared responsibility.

The
9th annual Open Space meeting in Haiti took place on June 24-27,
2010.  Sixty-two of the 78
participants stayed at Villa Ormiso, which hosted the event, and the remaining
participants commuted.  For most of
the participants, the fees related to their participation in that meeting were
covered by the organizations with which they are working. The Haiti Open Space
Institute sponsored 30 of them.

Theme:

What
is the role of leaders and community organizations in the reconstruction of a
new Haiti, based on the promotion of progress and social justice?

Below are several of the
topics proposed in the village market:

·
What
are the needs of community organizations for the reconstruction of Haiti?

·
What is
the role of Haitians in Haiti's reconstruction?

·
What
results can we expect from using Open Space in communities?

·
Can we
rebuild Haiti without the Haitian?

·
How can
we help grassroots organizations in the economic and social development of the
communities in which they work?

Below
are reflections from some of the participants who had their lodging and meals
covered thanks to the generous gift from OSI, USA. All of them are active
members in our network.

“In the Open Space, I learned many
things like, techniques for helping people to sit together to find solutions to
their problems. In the Open Space, I learned to listen to others through shared
learning.

I have already made several meetings
using the Open Space with Christian groups and teachers everywhere in Haiti.

The reason I chose to use the Open
Space method because it is essentially a method based on participation, which
can be performed with small groups as with large groups. It is a method that
leads to marry responsibility and passion”.

Enel Angervil

“In June 2010, I had the chance to
attend the 9th annual Open Space meeting in Haiti.

During this meeting, I learned many
things, especially how to reconcile individual passions and collective
decisions.

This was my first experience, but I
realized that the Open Space method encourages participation. Since that
meeting, I decided to adopt it as part of my activities. The results with the Open
Space are beneficial to the participants and the whole group in general”.

Theodore Jasper

“At the Open Space meeting, I
learned many things. Like how to express ideas, promote team spirit, learning
to think about your personal and professional environment. After my
participation in the Open Space of 2010, I had a chance to host a meeting using
Open Space in my community, and participants were enthusiastic about their
involvement in the process of conducting this meeting. What interests me in Open
Space is the democratic character that develops during the meetings”.

Jimmy Francis

“The June 2010 Open Space was a very
enlightening time for me. The most important thing I learned is my ability to
hear, despite my disagreement with the speaker. I wish to continue to learn the
principles of Open Space and apply them in my work group management.

The experience I had with Open Space
has fueled my dream to see Open Space to practice throughout Haiti. It is the
only method that can facilitate a true community mobilization, an important
factor in the economic and social development in Haiti”.

Benaja Antoine

“I'm Norestin Nellie and I am
pleased to express my gratitude to Open Space Institute in Haiti which enabled
me to benefit so much: more capacity to work in the development of my
community, facilitating a dialogue on respect for each other, work in the
spirit of transparency and creativity.

After participating in the Open
Space in June 2010, it inspired me to form an association of twenty-height women,
for whom I did training on risks and disasters. I am very motivated to use the Open
Space method because it is a method that creates a dynamic of participation.

With Open Space, I learned to
cultivate the spirit of tolerance, participation, how to help people to live
together cooperatively”.

Norestin Nellie

 “For me, Open Space is a method, which
can play an important role in Haitian society.  Haiti has been in slavery for a great number of years; it
takes a lot of time for such a nation to become educated in the right way and I
think the OS method can do much in helping to achieve that goal.  I know that a lot of people have
already been trained in OS and I hope it will continue.  I take advantage of the opportunity to
give many thanks to the OS Institute, which sponsored my participation in the
OS this year; I must say I benefited a lot from the method.

In
the past, I used to think that what I did was always right and I always wanted
others to see things the same way I did, which usually created a lot of
frustration and disappointment in me.
When I started participating in OS, I realized that was not realistic; I
started showing more tolerance toward people and their ideas. Thus, I feel I
have relieved myself of taking on other people’s responsibilities and personal
objectives.  I really benefited
from that space, which was really open in order to share my knowledge with
others and to also learn from what others were sharing with us.”

Marie
Kerline Janvier

Below you will find some
thoughts that emerged in a workshop.

What comes to mind when you
think of the word “Restavek”?

“My
name is Djougine Desrosiers. I work for the “Organisation pour la protection
des Restaveks et de l’etres Humaines (OPREH)” as a Special Projects Coordinator
and Child Advocate. I am participating in the Open Space Seminar to learn more
about other forms of communications in order to be an effective leader.

The
word “Restavek “means as child who stays with someone who is not their parents.
99% of the time is not a good situation.

Social
inequality will always be one of the main reasons the “Restavek” system exists
in Haiti. For example, inequality in schools, churches, workplaces, and more
creates a barrier for change. Children who are less fortunate attend bad
schools which do not give them the good opportunities in society.

don't think the solution is to try to get the children out of their situation
but to improve their situations.

Ways
I think we can reach the families is through theater, Open Space, songs and
more. . .

Civic
Education is very important- we should have sex education in schools, churches
and among families.

Other
ways we can impact change is to include the community leaders.

Even
husband and wife can treat each other as “Restaveks”. Mothers can treat their
kids as “Restaveks”.

Children
who are staying with a family should be encouraged to stay connected with their
biological families”.

would like for all OSI, USA members to know how grateful we are and how much
respect we have for you.  We’ll
always be ready to support activities, which will take place in Haiti and we
have a lot of gratitude for that.

Great
appreciation and respect for all of you.

Fremy
Cesar

For
the Haiti Open Space Institute