[OSList] 답장: Re: Knowledge sharing open space?

Stanley Park spark.osk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 07:23:02 PDT 2011

Wonderful Dicky.

Your sharing would benefit great many around the world!

Ubiquitous waveriding powered by ost ;-))

spark

Director
Open Space Institute of Korea
http://openspace.kr

2011. 4. 10. 오후 8:20에 "Methorst, Dicky" <dicky.methorst at minbuza.nl>님이 작성:

 hi Suzanne and Nancy,

Thanks for your thoughts and contributions. I would like to share my
experience with follow up of an Open Space event within my organisation, the
Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Netherlands. As I am within the
organisation I had a chance to follow through what happened after the Open
Space with all the harvest. After two months we decided to go through the
harvest again and ask the convenors of the sessions what had happened.
Curiously enough they had forgotten what was written in the reports. When
they reread the reports, however, they found that a lot of the suggestions
had found their way somehow into the organisation. They had become an
integral part of the work, had been executed or had been integrated into
policies. Some issues did not need explicit follow up: the participants had
enjoyed the discussions, had learned a lot or gotten other perspectives. On
other issues no follow up action had been taken: these appeared to be the
suggestions that on second thought were regarded as not feasible or not
important enough. So without any explicit and conscious follow up action or
controlmechanism by management.the things that needed to be handled got
adequate attention. There was one exception: suggestions given bij outsiders
(ie external experts/stakeholders) who wanted the Ministry to take certain
actions) had not been taken on board (yet). It is possible that this will
still be done, as the time between the Open Space and the questions asked
about follow up was too short. But these things were more likely to be
forgotten. By the way, the main purpose was not "knowledge sharing" but
finding opportunities to realize our ambitions for reaching the Millenium
Development Goals within a new challenging political policy environment.

I wonder whether this outcome is another proof of the power of
selforganisation. Or does it mean that people had just brought the things
they wanted to do anyway and it would have happened even without Open Space?
 Or may be it would have happened anyway but less quickly and less
efficient/effective.

Greetings from a sunny Netherlands!

Dicky