[OSList] Knowledge sharing open space?

Harrison Owen hhowen at verizon.net
Sun Apr 10 07:11:31 PDT 2011

Dicky wrote: "I wonder whether this outcome is another proof of the power of
self organisation. Or does it mean that people had just brought the things
they wanted to do anyway and it would have happened even without Open Space?
Or maybe it would have happened anyway but less quickly and less
efficient/effective."

How about all three? And I think there may be something else of note here.
It seems to be an article of faith that the way to insure that "things get
done" is to take detailed notes of the discussion and then use them (the
notes) as the insurance policy for future action. Following this line of
thought it is obvious that more and better notes will improve the situation.
I think this is a nice idea, but I don't see a great deal of evidence that
things work that way. For example, the US Congress (both Houses) is a
copious note taker - and the resulting Congressional Record is monstrous -
but the follow through may leave something to be desired. J I am being
facetious to a point, but I think the real issue is that we might view the
written record as somehow superior to the record imprinted in the hearts and
minds of the participants. This doesn't mean that the written record
(Proceedings) are unimportant, but I think the importance lies in their
function as "aide de memoire." These are not detailed manuals of procedure,
but rather reflections of where people were at the time. Given a different
time and circumstances all those "great ideas" will be viewed differently.
Some, indeed will pass from view - to the great relief of everybody.

Harrison

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Dr.

Potomac, MD 20854

USA

Phone 301-365-2093

www.openspaceworld.com

www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)

To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of OSLIST
Go to: